Super Trees question

Started by Zephyrus52246, May 29, 2017, 12:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Jan

I have been using the super trees treated with glycerine for a couple years now and like them much better than the non treated ones.  They are much less brittle.  One tip - if you can remove the seed pods before you apply the glycerine you will find it much easier to remove them.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

rpdylan

John, what is your method with the glycerin?
Bob C.

S&S RR

Quote from: rpdylan on November 13, 2017, 08:34:33 PM
John, what is your method with the glycerin?

I'm buying my trees by the case directly from Scenic Express and they are boiling them in glycerin before they ship them. The only down fall is the seed pods are harder to remove. I recommend snipping them off rather than pulling them off like we used to do with the non-glycerin trees.
John Siekirk

Janbouli

I bought my super trees from a decorations material wholesale, a 60 liter box , more then enough for 600 trees for around 50 dollars. It's called seamoss or seafoam , official name Teloxys aristata.

John , I have seen more then one person leaving the buds on ( I am having a dejavu feeling about this question ) , is it necessary to take them off ?

I'll be spraypainting them dark gray , after I boil them in glycerine. Maybe I can boil them in glycerine with gray or black pigment , worth a try, or has someone done that already and found out it doesn't work?
I love photo's, don't we all.

rpdylan

does anyone know of a company like that in the US?
Bob C.

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on November 14, 2017, 08:59:30 AM
I bought my super trees from a decorations material wholesale, a 60 liter box , more then enough for 600 trees for around 50 dollars. It's called seamoss or seafoam , official name Teloxys aristata.

John , I have seen more then one person leaving the buds on ( I am having a dejavu feeling about this question ) , is it necessary to take them off ?

I'll be spraypainting them dark gray , after I boil them in glycerine. Maybe I can boil them in glycerine with gray or black pigment , worth a try, or has someone done that already and found out it doesn't work?

Jan

All of my trees - so far - have been Aspens so we have painted them off white.  I don't know why you couldn't color them with a gray pigment.  I would start with grey  - trees only look black when they are wet so I would be afraid of getting them to dark.

Your price sounds good. I'm paying between $100 and $120, US for a case. I know there is a lot of shipping costs involved getting them here from Europe.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: rpdylan on November 14, 2017, 09:42:35 AM
does anyone know of a company like that in the US?

The only place I have ever found selling Super Trees or anything like them is Scenic Express in the US. Jim sells them already treated with the glycerine. Jim is in the process of shipping case number 12 for my layout.

As far as modeling a tree with the seed pods - I don't like them.  The seed pods look unnatural to me and if you cover the tree with enough flock to hide them the trees look worse.  As I said in a previous post, don't try to pull them off after the glycerine treatment.  I have been cutting them out of the tree with nippers. The long nippers used to remove plastic parts from the sprue work real well.

The best lesson I have learned - Credit goes to Wayne Olson on this - is don't use very much flock.  You want to see through the trees. If you take a look at my build thread I did a pictorial on this a while back.
Just my 2 cents.
John Siekirk