Builders in Scale G. W. Nichols Wood - build challenge

Started by Oldguy, December 31, 2019, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

I am using wood ties with creosote and only have half of the last gallon I was able to buy in the 80's and love the look I can get with different soaking times.

I was checking some sources in the construction industry and might be able to get small quantities for future expansion projects.

Do the feds monitor hobby forums for subversive activities..... :o ::) ???
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

carl b

You're doing well Bob.
You will persevere and finish the race!
Carl

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Bob.

Its just like working in 1:1 scale, only without the scaffolding and safety net.

Cheers, Mark.

Oldguy

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 25, 2020, 09:29:13 AM
I am using wood ties with creosote and only have half of the last gallon I was able to buy in the 80's and love the look I can get with different soaking times.

I was checking some sources in the construction industry and might be able to get small quantities for future expansion projects.

I don't think that we are the NSA's watch list (yet).  Besides, I was a certified safety professional and held a 30-hour hazmat card.  So, that means don't do what I do, do what I say. ::)
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I was so happy that the roof tin fell at a raised seam, that I forgot all about the gable trim that needs to be added.  Grrrr.  In my younger days the roof would have flew across the room.  Now, I need to find my muse for the recovery.  In the mean time, let's build something.   I gots a ladder and a workbench that need to be built.  The ladder - I got no ladder jig to hold 2x4s, but I do have a joist jig, a machinist block and magnets.  Good enough.

Then I need to get all the lumber piled up for the storage building.  Still a bit skimpy, but I do have some Campbell turnout ties.  Cut these in half and voila.  Two more slots filled.  As a side note - my package of low profile ties cost $3.25 a decade or two ago.  Now - $21.00!  Granted it's for 1000 ties, but holy smokes.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Before I can glue down the roof, I needed to add the stacks of lumber.
Still mulling over my roof gable issue, I have a solution in mind and it ain't going to be pretty. 

Meanwhile, I'll build a workbench.  This would have been so much easier if I had seen Marty's video and his use of the Blu Tack a couple of weeks ago.  But, I managed to get 'er done.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Opa George

Nice work, Bob. The lumber bins look realistically full. I think that's always a challenge to do, since it eats up so much scale lumber.
--Opa George

Oldguy

Quote from: Opa George on January 28, 2020, 05:30:37 AM
Nice work, Bob. The lumber bins look realistically full. I think that's always a challenge to do, since it eats up so much scale lumber.
--Opa George
Thanks.  And as I mentioned the vast majority of it was provided in the kit. I will admit that I thought a bit about not using their lumber as it was some of the best that I have seen.  But then I realized that I don't have that much of a calling for 10 foot scale lumber.  Some pieces, perhaps, but no it was in the kit, so I will use it.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I was working on the gable ends, but found the supplied 1x10s were in short supply. so I put in an order to Mt Albert.  If I'm going to order, I'll order other stuff as well to spread out the shipping costs.
After looking at online photos, I did manage to rust up the metal bits.  It's a whole lot heavier than I wanted, so that is one area that I need to work on.

While waiting for my new lumber, I'll work on railings and perhaps the loading dock.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

While waiting for materials, I moved onto the workshop.  Strange little building as part of it sits on the loading dock.  Typical little bag of parts and the thrill of cutting out the windows.  Masking tape on the back, holes drilled in the corners, and everything came out as it should,  I decided to paint the walls the same as the office, albeit a bit more weathered.  I didn't paint one piece, as at the time I just couldn't figure out where it goes.

I do get a bit lazy painting trim as I drag through the paint and then pull through a sponge (actually packing foam) for coverage.  I found it a lot quicker than using a paint brush.

While the sides are being glued together, I started on the roof.  Even though I made sure that the roof card was cut out with square corners, I continue to use perpendicular methods for scoring the ridge.  I decided to go ahead and use the provided Campbell shingles.  I did use transfer tape and try to minimize the amount of adhesive that is exposed.  It all went fairly quick.  It was a simple matter of burnishing the tape to the roof and burnishing the little solid bit on the applied shingles.  To finish off the last row on each side, I wetted the shingle only portion, and cut off the solid portion.  Now I remember why I never liked these - I've got a ton of ridge cap shingles to make. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

GPdemayo

Quote from: Oldguy on January 26, 2020, 07:59:17 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on January 25, 2020, 09:29:13 AM

I don't think that we are the NSA's watch list (yet).  Besides, I was a certified safety professional and held a 30-hour hazmat card.  So, that means don't do what I do, do what I say. ::)

Give them time Bob.....if there's a dime to made from fines, we will be seeing them.  :(
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

madharry

Bob,
This a brilliant build thread. I have this kit and I will feed off your expertise when the time comes. Very well done!
Mike ;)

Oldguy

Well, Mike, you should have no issues.  It's more of a matter of reading the what goes where, looking at the diagrams to figure out where the wheres are.

Before adding the ridge caps, I need to install the roof.  Since there is only one gable end, I decided not to install a ridge beam, but to use a couple of interior formers made out of old Campbell excess template cardboard. (I have a cardboard scrap box) 

For the ridge caps, nothing beats plain old paper bags.  Another quickly vanishing item.  Luckily we had two smallish bags that I appropriated.  It's just a matter of getting a good fold, determining the width needed and cut double the length of the ridge.  I used WeldBond to glue them on with a half-the-length overlap.  One bag should last me a life time.

I should mention the weird end section of the workshop.  In a previous post, I mentioned the funny short B&B section that I couldn't make a determination of where it went.  Well. it is the lower outside wall.  It will be buried under the dock.  The stained upper end wall has it's painted B&B side turned inward.  It forms the back wall of the dock tool house.  The pencil lines were used to determine the workshop roof placement as the battens on the other side need to be removed where the rood hits it.

This cool little structure has some decent windows on the back side that will never bee seen.  A shame really. 

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

With the workshop and tool house being interrelated, the dock becomes an important construct, especially since, wait for it, I'll be making it longer.  That square piece of siding is for the dock deck.  Um, no.  I'll replace it with 2x12 or x10 material.  Sooooo, let's see. 1/16 square supports 13/32" long, topped by a 1/16 square piece, topped by 2x8 joists, then 2x decking.  Sure why not.  The hoist will be placed somewhere near the middle of the dock instead of being off the end.

It's an easy matter of extending the dock support detail template to accommodate the longer length.  And some quick math showed that I can get very close to the original dock height by switch to 2x10 joists from the planned 2x8s to account for the thinner 2x decking from the original siding piece.  I'll double check tomorrow.

But before I do anything else, I need double check how my modifications are affecting the building complex layout.  The "section" pieces are chain link fence pieces.   As I like the original plan, I'll keep the general orientation.  The lengthening of the storage bins will eliminate the Section 2A fence piece as this building now covers the entire width.  The dock/tool house/workshop set will move up.  It looks like I can keep the overall same width.  One makes the chain link from provide metal rods and tulle.  So I have options, other than the sliding gate.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond