Nail holes in clapboard siding

Started by Willwood42, February 10, 2016, 11:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpdylan

For me, I think that "hyper-reality" looks better. From a distance, i really don't see mortar lines in brick, nail holes, ect. but when modeled in HO, it makes the structure look more realistic.  I think thats why I love what George Sellios has done!

Bob C.
Bob C.

Janbouli

Hoping someone will read this .

What size of pounce wheel would make the right looking holes for H0, or should I get a set because it differs from kit to kit?
I love photo's, don't we all.

robertseckler

If you have a Micro Mark set of Pounce Wheels use the middle size.

Note sure what its called

I use
Middle size for HO Nail holes
Small Size for Nail holes in metal siding
Large for Rivets in Water Tower

Hope this helps

deemery

Quote from: Oldguy on February 12, 2016, 11:39:34 AM
As far as nail holes, I guess it would depend on building age and if it had ever been painted or not and environmental exposures.  As to the corners, it can go either way depending upon the builders preference.  From Shorpy, here is an old farm house where the nails are very evident and the corners have been treated both ways.   A lot of details in this little photo.

Until I saw this photo, I would have said, "You're doing it wrong."  Now I'll say, "They did it wrong." :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

rpdylan

has anyone used this?
Bob C.

S&S RR

Bob

The prototypical discussion on nail holes, as said above, depends on the part of the country and the era you are modeling.  Mike mentioned square vs. round.  I have lots of pictures of square nail holes in the buildings in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan that have square nail holes from the late 1800's. As Bob said, there is a prototype for everything.  I model the 1940's and like the way the nail holes look - "it's the details" - so I put them in most of my clapboard structures.  If you are modeling 50's to present they were very uncommon because of the building practices. And were round if they are present - because the shape of nails changed.  If you like the way they look - us them - "it's your railroad".

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: rpdylan on January 30, 2017, 01:25:27 PM
has anyone used this?

I have a pounce wheel from Ireland - that I really like - and I can't remember who I bought it from.  It gives me two nail holes per clapboard on typical 4 inch clapboard with one of the wheels that comes with the set. Can anyone help my memory on who sells them? I bought it at either the Narrow Gauge Convention or the EXPO.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

Quote from: rpdylan on January 30, 2017, 01:25:27 PM
has anyone used this?

Yes, and I didn't like it one bit. Threw it in file 13 after a week. No reason, just didn't like it as well as the Micro Mark Ponce wheel.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I remember the good old days when I used a large needle for the nail holes. One nail hole at a time. It was time consuming. After a few walls I figured out why they made thimbles.

Now, for me, the MM ponce wheels are best. I use both the small and medium wheels depending on the size of the siding.

My .02 cents worth.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Is the Irish Ponce wheel the Rivet-R by RB productions?  i used this on the Hilltown build and liked it a lot, it makes small round holes, not a line.   

Jeff

Janbouli

Thanks everyone, a company here in Belgium sells the MM set, so I'll be getting those.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on January 30, 2017, 04:37:29 PM
Is the Irish Ponce wheel the Rivet-R by RB productions?  i used this on the Hilltown build and liked it a lot, it makes small round holes, not a line.   

Jeff

Jeff

That's it! Do you remember who was selling them? I want to say Bob VanGelder but I just can't remember for sure.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on January 30, 2017, 05:06:49 PM
Thanks everyone, a company here in Belgium sells the MM set, so I'll be getting those.

Jan

They will serve you well. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 30, 2017, 10:39:13 AM
Quote from: Oldguy on February 12, 2016, 11:39:34 AM
As far as nail holes, I guess it would depend on building age and if it had ever been painted or not and environmental exposures.  As to the corners, it can go either way depending upon the builders preference.  From Shorpy, here is an old farm house where the nails are very evident and the corners have been treated both ways.   A lot of details in this little photo.

Until I saw this photo, I would have said, "You're doing it wrong."  Now I'll say, "They did it wrong." :-)

dave

So who is going to come out with a kit of this structure?
John Siekirk

Zephyrus52246

John, it's mentioned in the Hilltown kit by Bob VanGelder, but I don't know that he sold them.  He notes  http://www.radubstore.com to obtain it, I think I got mine at  http://www.mmodelstore.com/rb-t010.aspx   . 

Jeff