Great Lakes Lighthouse Build

Started by carl b, January 01, 2020, 11:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Mmm - the postage to New Zealand might be a killer.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Carl:

The tower is coming along just beautifully. Love the top.

Karl

carl b

Carl

Opa George

Carl, truly excellent work, particularly on the light. I built the light from the Builders-In-Scale Tidewater Wharf lighthouse and did not get the beautiful results you have--and I was not working from scratch like you are.  Congrats.
--Opa George

carl b

Thank you George!

I also built the BIS Tidewater Wharf kit back in 2013...a great kit....
here's a pic of the lighthouse section....

Carl

postalkarl

Hey Carl:

Nice job on the kit in the above photo.

Karl

carl b

Carl

postalkarl

Hey:

Carl you are quite welcome.

Karl

carl b

I have an update of 8 photos ready to post, but must wait until the "Gallery" is restored.

Thanks
Carl

carl b

Before I assemble the tower carcass, I first blacked out the windows with card. No lights needed here. Then set cleats in to support the 4 square braces. This thing must never twist or warp!

Two sides, then inserted the tube.

Three sides, carefully lining up all corners.

All four sides now in place, glued together.

Top layer of RSM block sheet installed. All corners are mitered. I also mounted additional layers of chipboard for the "connector walkway" building walls to be glued against.... later down the road.

Middle layer of block sheet installed, first coat of browns. Bottom white window installed. Minimal putty in the corners on the top level, then a coat of soft white.

Bottom base layer of block sheet installed and painted. Additional layers of two level trim at the top. 

Top two windows installed, black on black which I don't like, but that's on the prototype. A stone ledge installed between top layer and middle. More weathering added. Cut a piece of styrene for the base of the parapet.

Till next time...finish this tower up...
Carl

carl b

The square parapet outside the clockworks room has an iron fence around it. I built this jig to hold .016" brass again, and soldered it. Change of plans, there wasn't enough clearance to clean all the leftover solder and flux residue off. I tried to, but I distorted the brass.

So I reluctantly used only thick gel CA to hold this together. Just have to let each of the four sections sit in the jig overnight. Every piece is run long for trimming later.

Out of the jig....still as fragile as can be.....

A base of .030 styrene is drilled out to receive the legs on scale 2 foot centers..

Much cursing later, all four in place and ready for paint.

Railings & floor painted black, then glued on top. Installed two copper tape solder points for power to the LED just inside the clockworks room.

Few more touchups needed, then it's complete.

Till next time...on to the keepers quarters....
Carl

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mark Dalrymple

Beautiful work and a very interesting project.

Cheers, Mark.

Janbouli

Great modeling , thanks for sharing.
I love photo's, don't we all.

carl b

Thank you Jerry, Mark and Janbouli for your positive comments and following along!

Any questions, just ask!
Carl