FSM Westside Auto

Started by Zephyrus52246, September 07, 2019, 05:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Next up are some roof details.  Ladders and a scaffolding.  Items built over the template on temporary double sided tape.  I use the bottle cap to hold glue which is put on with a toothpick or Q tip, depending on how much glue is needed. 

Jeff

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Jeff.

I like the trim around the dormers instead of tar.

Cheers, mark.

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Looking just beautiful. Your finished stucco looks great. The roof came out well also.

Karl

ACL1504

Jeff,

I agree with the others, very nicely done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

The detail parts are for a scene of a workman fixing the roof.  The workman needed some repainting.  When I applied an acrylic wash to the face, most of the paint came off.   :o   The white areas on the workman are glare, not the paint being missing.   ::) The instructions call for a piece of wire to be used as a roof pipe, but I did my own with some plastic cylinder.

Jeff

vinceg

Jeff,

Could you say a few more words about how you paint the tar paper? I love the look. Looks like maybe you paint it solid black and then spritz on some gray and earth from a distance so that it looks very spattered? Or maybe that's sponged? How do you do it?

Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

You are correct, Vince.  I use spray cans of black/grey/tan.  Black to start, then the other colors lightly from a distance.  If I overdo it, I repeat the colors until I get what I like.  I've used the SAC Bomber green (a Karl tar paper color suggestion) similarly for a green roof, and red primer for a red roof.

Jeff

ReadingBob

Looks wonderful Dr. Jeff!   :D  Keep up the great work!  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Zephyrus52246

More slow progress.  The staircase addition is built.  It has complex bracing, but it didn't help much as the front piece really warped.  Unfortunately, I don't think extending the 1/16  inch bracing under the door would have helped much.  Stuck it under weight for a few days and it improved, but until the stairs were glued on, really stayed curved.  I had sprayed the back with flat black (missed a spot as something shifted), but I don't think it would have helped if that area was painted.  All the metal pieces (including the stairs), were attached with 5 minute epoxy. The stairs were first superglued on and then epoxy added along the bottom edge.  Some shiny spots appeared from epoxy oozing under/around the doors.  Flat finish brushed on solved this.  Added the top and bottom braces on the back to make sure the sides squared. Next up are signs for this.  I cut the whole sheet out yesterday in four sittings.   :o

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

As I mentioned, I cut out all the signs at once.  Easier than trying to pick out the ones George used.  One issue, there are some license plates to hang around the doorways, but they're a little oversized.  They scale out at 15" x 7 ".  Our present plates are 12x5.  Here's a picture (I had started cutting them when I suddenly thought they were too big) of them with some smaller scale ones I got out of an old modeling magazine.   I'm not sure if I'll use them.  I could copy/shrink them/reprint them, I guess.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I finished the staircase area.  One problem on a stucco building is adding stuff over it, it has a problem not leaving gaps.  I chisled/filed off every thing that interfered with the fit.  Unfortunately, when I originally put on the stucco, my measurement for the stairs was a bit off, so there's no stucco near the stairs.  Probably better than trying to remove it later to fit (there is a small gap at the top of the stairs, don't look too carefully.  ::) ).  Now to work on the rear shed.

Jeff

jerryrbeach

Jeff,

Just getting caught up on this build.  Glad you managed to overcome the issue with warping.  Looks great! 
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Another excellent looking build Jeff.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Jeff,

Wow, the building came out looking mighty fine.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com