FOS The Terminal

Started by Opa George, February 11, 2019, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave K.

Opa George

Thanks, Dave!
Ok, here are some progress pics. I'm knocking off for the day. I worked the back "alley" wall first so that I could lay the structure shell flat on its front. I added the door, more signs, rusty metal corner guards (1/16" L channel, spray painted with red primer), and some more trim around the billboards. I did not trim up the top of the billboards before I check the fit with the roof. Below are two pictures of the back side of the bus terminal.

In adding bay numbers to the rear, remember to reverse the order so they match the front.

Then added the façade pieces to the front. Per the instructions, I was to glue the pilasters to the clapboard façade first, then apply the entire assembly to the taskboard shell. I did not do it that way. Instead I glued the clapboard façade in place first and made sure it was square with the stucco entrance, as well as even with the concrete ceiling.  But when I applied the pilasters, I found they were a fraction short and (if glued flush to the clapboard) do not quite reach the ground.  If doing it again, I would follow the instructions for that step. This would let the clapboard façade mount just a fraction lower than the ceiling, and would allow for an extra bit of trim to extend under and hide the joint.  I don't think this will be a problem, though. I'll just cut small bits to put under the bottom of the pilasters so they sit solidly on the ground.

Here is a top-down shot, showing how all of the parts fit together.

And a shot with the roof just lying on top--no attempt at installing it yet. Just wanted an idea of how it would look.

It is shaping up well, but this structure is barely half done. There are the islands and supports to add, roof and sheds, the big sign, lots of details and of course I have not done any real weathering yet.
--George

Bruce Oberleitner

Man, This sure looks awesome.  Very nice job Opa George!

;D ;D :o

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Dave K.

How do you type the sound of a whistle? Very nice modeling, George.

Jim Donovan

I had time tonight to take my time catching up on your kit build George. I love the results but even more, the time you take to detail how you accomplish the results and warn of the potential land mines. I learn A LOT from one of your builds. Better yet I have this kit (think I said that before) and like Tom said, this is the reference book for me when I build it.

Thanks

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

PRR Modeler

That is some really nice modeling George.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Mille mercis, Jan, and thank you very much, Bruce, Dave, Jim and Curt.  So far so good on this build!
--George

Opa George

The concrete islands that separate the bus lanes are next up. These are taskboard bases with square holes for the columns. The columns themselves are cut from 1/8 inch square wood strips, and they fit into holes in the ceiling, so it is all really just cut-and-fit. Getting all of the parts prepared, assembled, painted and weathered is where the time comes in.

Because the columns fit into the pre-cut ceiling holes, and because they may pass all the way through the holes as needed, it is not critical that they be an exact fit. I measured and cut mine slightly long, sanded out any roughness, and spray painted them with flat white. I did not distress them, as I want them to represent painted concrete columns.

While they dried, I laid out the parts to make up the eight iron girders that attach between the columns to the ceiling. Each girder has three parts, so 24 pieces.  Also prepared are the paper safety stripe "wrappers" that will be applied to the base of the columns where they attach to the island.

I used cyanoacrylate to assemble the girders. The top and bottom strips attach perpendicular to the larger girder piece, so that once assembled, if viewed from the end, will be in the shape of the letter "I."  Sand the edges of the larger girder pieces to remove any trace of the separation tab, as it will interfere with a good bond.  As this is a rather fussy operation, I assembled only one side of each girder first and allowed it to dry before adding the second side. Below are all 8 girder assemblies.

At the moment, everything is drying and curing. Tomorrow I will paint the girders red primer, for rust, and will start wrapping the safety stripe around each of the columns. I won't actually assemble the islands until I am satisfied the paper safety stripe wrappers are fully attached, flush to the surface, and dry.
--George

Opa George

Everything dried quite nicely overnight. Today I began wrapping the safety stripes around the bottom of the posts. First I measured and marked off from each post the length that would seat into the island. The safety stripe wrappers were then attached, just one side, all at once to make sure I had them all matching in direction.

Assembling the islands and posts required a bit of uncharacteristic haste. I used wood glue for a strong bond, but also knowing it set quicker than white glue. I glued all ten posts into the islands first, then turned the shell on it's side to work. Fortunately, both sides that seat against adjoining structures are just blank taskboard, so at least I wouldn't mess up any details on a finished wall. It actually assembled quite easily. Below is a top-down shot with all ten posts seated properly.

I then adjusted the islands to make sure they were straight, level, and flush to the ground in relation to the rest of the structure, and let it dry. While drying, I began working on some of the rooftop structures, adding bracing to the shed walls and assembling the skylight. Sorry for the blurriness of the pic below.

The skylight consists of two pieces (less glazing). All four sides are one laser cut piece with score marks to bend into the rectangular shape. I used a corner cut from some scrap carrier sheet to help in gluing square. I'll be fogging the acetate so you won't be able to see the internal corner bracing.

Finally I applied the painted girders between the posts. A few took a slight bit of filing for a good fit, but the engineering of the pieces is good, as they fit nicely. The picture below might be a bit disorienting. I set the structure on its side to catch better light into the underside assembly.  You can also see the assembled skylight sitting on the bench.

--George

PRR Modeler

Really nice modeling George. Just beautiful.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

It keeps getting better and better.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)