Depot and Depot

Started by Timbob60, July 20, 2015, 05:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbob60

Wasn't sure where to post this, but figured it would get read here. With floquil and polly scale gone the way of the dinosaur, has anyone found an acrylic paint match for depot olive and/or depot buff?

Geo2rge aka timbob60

rpdylan

I thought that the Vallejo depot buff looked pretty good. I was toying with the idea of painting a white card with some of my Polly scale (what little is left) and having it color matched at the paint store-- you can get a little sample container for around $3 at the Depot.....
Bob C.

Timbob60

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the prompt reply and the memory jog. Sadly, now I remember giving the same advice on the olden forum a few years ago. Seems the older I get, the more the CRS rears its ugly head.

Geo2rge aka timbob60

ACL1504

The samples from Lowe's and Home Depot aren't HO scale paints. Floquil, Polly Scale, Tamiya, etc are scale paints for modelers. I'm not sure the house paints can be thinned enough to use without them being almost water. Just my thoughts.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 21, 2015, 02:47:07 PM
The samples from Lowe's and Home Depot aren't HO scale paints. Floquil, Polly Scale, Tamiya, etc are scale paints for modelers. I'm not sure the house paints can be thinned enough to use without them being almost water. Just my thoughts.

Tom ;D
Wasn't there an article in RMC a couple months ago where a guy describes how he uses house paint successfully?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Dave,

I think it was modeling with craft paints. Not sure. 8)

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

rpdylan

I've been a " drybrusher/ sponger" all my life, and have used some of those little sample paints from the Depot with good results for wood. I now use the Vallejo paints for figures/ castings ( I bought some military color sets on Amazon) , and started using Color Place paints for my airbrush ( these are thinned/ cleaned with acetone). 
Bob C.

ACL1504

How bout that, now I know.

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hi guys:

I know there are several brands of craft paint. They have 100's of colors.  I haven't really checked into matching Floquil colors yet but I'm going to have to pretty soon as I'm running out. I have found some spray paints at the hardware store and Wal Mart that are pretty close to some colors.

Karl 

Karl

deemery

There used to be a site that had color equivalents for various lines of model and craft paints, but it might have been taken down.

Of the craft paints, I think I like the Delta Ceramcoat line the best.  But recently I've been using Golden artist fluid acrylics.  They have the same working properties of Vallejo, but not the same color selection.  Still, when mixing my own colors or doing weathering, they're my current favorite.  For airbrushing, I like Tru-Color except that the thinner/cleaner is acetone, or Vallejo/Model Air.  For brushing, I like Vallejo slightly thinned. 

dave

postalkarl

Hi Guys:

I have several brands of craft paints. Also using spray paints from Wall Mart And Hardware Stores. I'm going to make a color chart from what floquil I have left and see what I can find as far as Depot Olive & Depot Buff go.

Karl

S&S RR

I'm having good luck with acrylics from the craft stores painting structures  but for detail castings you need very fine pigments. So far Vallejo is the only paint that has worked to my satisfaction as a replacement. I'm actually saving the floquil I have left for castings.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

Quote from: S&S RR on August 06, 2015, 12:04:51 PM
I'm having good luck with acrylics from the craft stores painting structures  but for detail castings you need very fine pigments. So far Vallejo is the only paint that has worked to my satisfaction as a replacement. I'm actually saving the floquil I have left for castings.
If you see them at an art store, try Golden fluid acrylics.  I've been very happy with them so far.  Not as many colors as Vallejo, but cheaper with just as good pigment quality.

dave