Wood box cars Scratch building and trick shots

Started by bparrish, July 26, 2020, 05:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

Here is a shot of the wires glued in from the inside.  Again,  a flat car would not have this sticking out.

More tomorrow
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Bruce Oberleitner

Yo Bob,
Another amazing thread as always.  Remind me to come over one of these days and watch you use that screwdriver as a squeegee!  That's quite the trick.

I guess I now know what you were ordering all that wood for.

;D ;D :o

postalkarl

Hey B:

Looks great so far. Keep the pics coming.

Karl

bparrish

So here is the finish up for the under floor for an AP model.   After this all construction will be the same.

So here is a shot of the under floor with all of the NBW's and start for truss rods. The queen posts are four inch lift from Grandt line.  Someone has taken over Grandt Line so these are sill available.

Notice when I put the wires for the truss rods, .015" wire, I left the ends stick out. It's a bit wasteful of wire but it gets you to the next step. To put the NBW's on the end sills it helps put the casting in line with the actual wire.  Evaluators will see this subtle piece.

Here is with the wire strung and the final appearance of the under floor before brake rigging.

More later

deemery

No turnbuckles on those cars?  I've noticed that some railroads didn't use them, but I thought that most cars by the late 1880s had turnbuckles on truss rods.

On my 1870s era 'coal gons' I didn't use turnbuckles.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bparrish

Dave. 

Not on yet.

That are pretty fragile so they right before paint. 

There were some that did not have turnbuckles.  The had a Clovis pin joint in the center with a forged fork and blade end on the intersecting rods.  Either way there was a fat spot.  I suppose that they were wound up by the car end nuts. 

Thanx for looking on

Bob

deemery

Are you going to do 'open turnbuckles' on your contest car?    I'm interested to see how you do the turnbuckles.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Test post for Bob - is the data base error related to the thread?????
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Bparrish:

coming along nicely. I'm enjoying you build. Been along time since I built A wood freight car kit.

Karl

bparrish

Let's try again

bparrish

Dave....
I'll make up the AP floor with some brass turn buckles....  I'll use old Central Valley and they won't be open.  Not me in HO.  I don't have eyes for that. The others I'll use Tichy or something of the sort.

I don't need this for a contest model.  It's only for instruction here.

I did my cars certificate about 12 years ago

More later
Bob

bparrish

John ....

It appears to be only this thread as I have not had trouble with other threads............ however.......... I cannot get a post to go up on my iphone.   I'm doing this from my computer and I was held out yesterday and earlier today.  It has been balky for months since a glitch that was a topic of conversation at the time.

Thanx
Bob

Jerry

Bob just getting caught up with this.

Very nice work and a lot of good tips on how you do these.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

bparrish

So let's talk about grain directions.  Everyone knows about with the grain and across the grain.

But there is another dimension.  Wood grain is also moving  up or down as you look at the surface of any board or in this case, scribed wood.   When paring off a scribed panel with an x-acto blade, the blade may run up or down in the cutting direction.  You always want to find the up direction.

If you simply follow what the wood wants to do you may find your blade digging into the surrounding surfaces.

So for cutting off the panel extensions on the sides of the box car, you do not want to nick into the scribed end panel..

Below are two photos that show a run-away blade looking for trouble.

Come back the other way and get the panel level close and then finish with a fine sand finger nail board.

bparrish

Now let's go to another procedure that can be made simple.

All of us have tried to make miter cuts that NEVER  match ! ! ! !

Working with car end soffits can be simple and very precise.

If your scribed end panel was applied correctly and is absolutely vertical you can then depend on it for cutting the soffit boards.

Photo one here shows a first side applied soffit strip that the glue has kicked off and is firmly affixed.

The photo attempts to show that the heel of the #11 blade is in a scribed line near the clamping devise of the knife.

Cut off any extending wood strip that passes the center line of the car.

Now on to fitting the other side strip.

You can see several things here.  My finger is applying pressure on the heel of the blade near the clamp and is seated in a scribed line.  The 1x6 being cut off is no where near the finished location.  I am trying to miter it to the direction of the car.  In all cases.............. up is up ! ! ! !

So when the blade cuts off the strip, the angle will be exact to the car and the first, now laid wood strip.

This final photo shows the finished intersection of the two wood strips.

This will work every time.  You can put your NWSL chopper back on the shelf for a while.

I will later nip off the fly ends of the wood strips and bring them to the soffit that runs the full length of the car below the roof line.

see ya
Bob