Building the Lost Mine

Started by Jerry, May 31, 2016, 09:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

This has been called the Hukill or the Maude Munroe Mine.

My version will be called the Lost Mine.

I'm using the plans from Clear Creek Engineering drawn by Don Griffin. The set is 8 pages of drawings of the mine and out buildings.

I made a jig so I could keep the top/bottom and sides square. After putting those pieces together and adding the long diagonal pieces. I moved it to the drawing to add the support pieces.
The outside bents are the same all the inside bents are different because the way they sit against the footing for the headframe.

Wood has been grained then one coat of Silverwood then after drying using Rembrandt pastels 409.7 Burnt Umber and 411.7 Burnt Sienna with alcohol stained the wood.

Actually the mine was a bright orange but in O-Scale it just didn't look right.

The footing in the picture was drawn by my friend Marty Jones. Then he had it 3d printed at the school were he works. Thank you Marty.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Jerry

This is where I'm at now.  I have been doing the front and sides hopefully pictures of the complete bin by weeks end.

Comments always welcome.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Jerry

It looks like a great project, I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Thanks John glad you took the time to look in on my little build.

Jerry

Jerry

I got some time in on the Ore Bin, I re did the whole thing because I didn't like the way it came out the first time.
So this is were its at now.

I haven't touched anything up yet.  And the Bin is almost done so I should have a completed picture early next week.

Comments always welcome.

GPdemayo

A scratch built mine.....sounds like a great project, I'll be looking in.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ak-milw

Jerry

Thanks Andy & Gregory for stopping by.

Jerry

Steve

Looking good! Keep up the great work  ;)

Jerry

postalkarl

Hi Jerry:

Just looked at all the photos. You are doing A great job so far. I like the color you used. I'll be following along wwith your build.

Karl

mario1

Hi Jerry

Interesting build. Looks great so far. I checkin to see more pics.

Mario
FW&RRry

Jerry

Sorry in getting back so late to you guys.

Thanks Karl & Mario.

Jerry

Jerry

Here what the bin looks like now basically it is done except for some touch ups and weathering.

I'm starting on the tipple next.  Which I hope goes pretty fast.  I have to have two hernia's taken care of next week so I should have plenty of bench time.

Comments always welcome.

Jerry

Saturday's work.  Framing is done for the back wall of the tipple.