Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Here is a cut and past of Bob's Technique:

For John............  you said several days ago that you had to put in a bunch of Tortoise machines...............   You came out of the auto world so you know this term...flat rate....Here are some of the things I learned on this forum and other experiences to sorten the time under your bench work looking like a beached whale.Tie all of your turnouts to the center with blue tape.  If they are Peco either remove the spring (you won't need them for tortoise anyway.Once the spring wires are assembled to the machine, manually push the Tortoise machines to center.Then fire  up your hot glue gun..........Take everything your going to need under the first time.   Put a dab of hot glue in hte center of the mounting pad and glue each to the underside of the bench work.  Everything will now be centered.   Without fumbling around........... you can now shoot all of the mounting screws into the mounting pads and be done with all of the balancing and dropping of stuff.This is the quickest way I know to get a bunch done.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Sorry about the reformatting of Bob's post.  Cut and paste didn't work as well as I was hoping.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Zephyrus52246

I've copied your panel technique and pictures for later use, as I use the Barret Hill toggles as well.  So much easier than soldering all those DPDT switches.  As to the Tortoise instillation, I've found my Velcro tape holding them in place has slowly loosened in some of them, and I'm just hot gluing them to a piece of 1/4 inch plywood, then screwing that to the roadbed with a couple of larger screws.  To center the turnout, instead of the blue tape, I use a piece of stripwood on each rail to hold them centered. 

Jeff

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on April 05, 2020, 05:09:55 PM
I've copied your panel technique and pictures for later use, as I use the Barret Hill toggles as well.  So much easier than soldering all those DPDT switches.  As to the Tortoise instillation, I've found my Velcro tape holding them in place has slowly loosened in some of them, and I'm just hot gluing them to a piece of 1/4 inch plywood, then screwing that to the roadbed with a couple of larger screws.  To center the turnout, instead of the blue tape, I use a piece of stripwood on each rail to hold them centered. 

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for stopping by the thread and adding your experience to our discussion.  I also tried the velcro tape but found that they found a way to move and get out of adjustment. All of mine will have screws and the hot glue sure works well for holding them in place. I like your idea of holding the turnouts in the center position with wood strips.  I have been using a weight with a piece of double side tape, one of those what ever works best for you, things.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

This years challenge build has made it's way to the layout. The FSM kit 145 coal tower was my build for this year. Here is the link to the build thread if you missed it.

http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=4874.0

John Siekirk

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

EricQuebec

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  I have spent the last two days chasing an electrical problem with the layout.  I have a turnout that when I throw it - I get a short.  The issue is it only shuts down half of one of my power districts. I can repeat the issue but can't figure out what is happening.  More testing. ::) :-[ :-[ :-[   Once I figure out what's wrong with my power district I will figure out what I need to do to fix the turnout.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

bparrish

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Dennis and Bob

Thank you for stopping by the thread.  I made some progress on my wiring issue - I have found the reason I loose half of a power district - loose jumper wire in the control panel.  The turnout is going to be replaced - definitely shorts out when I throw it and I have to pull it to figure out what's going on. I think it's a manufactures defect but time will tell.  A new turnout is ordered and I'm going to move on to something else while I wait for it to come.  Enough chasing electrical issues for awhile. ;)
John Siekirk