Bar Mills Queen City Coal

Started by vinceg, May 19, 2020, 09:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinceg

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on August 24, 2020, 07:58:21 PM
Great looking diorama.  Could use a few more little people, though.   :)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff -- and, thanks for the reminder about people. The kit actually came with a set of figures and there were also a couple of figures included with the vehicle sets. I completely forgot about those. I need to install at least a few of those.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

vinceg

Vince

vinceg

Quote from: NKP768 on August 25, 2020, 07:45:25 AM
Beautiful build Vince - a suggestion when planting the diorama on your layout....I keep a pad of Post It Notes that I use to line the edge of a finished area when adding ground goop to an adjoining unfinished area. The "stickiness" of the Post It is strong enough to hold the temporary barrier in place but doesn't pull anything apart when removing...
Doug

That's brilliant, Doug, thanks. I am definitely going to do this. Do you pull the Post Its out right after slopping the Sculptamold up to the edge and then smoothing out the disturbed material or do you let it dry first and then rip them out -- perhaps using some spackle afterward to fill any gaps?
Vince

vinceg

Thanks to Gregory, Bob Dye, Bob Butts, Tom Langford, Steve, and Tom Boyd, Loren, and Karl. I appreciate the encouragement (as well as all the things I learn from watching you guys).
Vince

vinceg

Quote from: mark dalrymple on August 25, 2020, 03:37:51 PM
Really nice, Vince.

Your first square foot of many has came up wonderfully well.  Might I suggest some track marks for the bulldozer?

Cheers, Mark.

Great idea, Mark, thanks. Also, sure enough, a few days after I finished, I can no longer stand how "clean" the courtyard is. I guess "good enough" isn't always good enough. I will have to go back in and dirty things up a little bit -- at least put some more dirt around the foundation of buildings and a few more weed in the concrete "cracks." I'll try to figure out how to put in some caterpillar tracks at the same time, too.
Vince

postalkarl

Hey Vince:

You are quite welcome.

Karl

NKP768

Your welcome Vince
I remove the Post It notes while the new material is still wet - pulling the Notes towards the newly added material. I then use a short round end straight edge to kind of tamp down the new material and feather into the existing material. Sounds harder than it looks but it's really easy.
Doug

vinceg

Quote from: NKP768 on August 31, 2020, 02:04:37 PM
Your welcome Vince
I remove the Post It notes while the new material is still wet - pulling the Notes towards the newly added material. I then use a short round end straight edge to kind of tamp down the new material and feather into the existing material. Sounds harder than it looks but it's really easy.
Doug

Thanks, Doug. That all sounds very logical. I will definitely try that out first thing.
Vince