Foscale Rohlen Welding build

Started by nycjeff, August 06, 2020, 12:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

This is my first build thread and I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the pictures and/ or the lighting on my workbench. I'm working on my camera and lighting skills. This is my third Foscale kit, I've already done Tower One and Yard Office One. All of these kits have gone together very well using the well done instructions. I will include pictures of the other builds when I can.

The Rohlen Welding kit was no exception. The only problem I had was a missing Card A, which with ReadingBob and ACL 1504's help was quickly taken care of.

This first picture is all the walls braced to prevent warping. I have found that using more bracing than called for is a good thing

The next picture shows windows painted with craft paints as well as the corner trim pieces. I used light advocado for these pieces.

The walls were then stained with a medium dark A and I. I don't have a precise formula for this stain. I just used it because I was happy with how it looked.

I applied the shingles included with the kit to the two side walls and dry-brushed one of the walls with my main color- cafe au lait. Another craft paint. Sorry about the picture quality, I warned you.

This is enough for now, I have to see if this post even goes through. Hopefully more to come
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ReadingBob

Great start Jeff.  One of the FOS kits I don't have in my stash.  It'll be fun to see how it comes together.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Jeff,

I'll follow along on this one as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

WigWag Workshop

I'm along for the ride! Appreciate you sharing the build with us.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

nycjeff

Thanks to everyone for your interest and encouragement.
This kit interested me because of the many different roof lines and materials used in a relatively small building.

It fits in well with my late 1940's rural Ohio layout which features the New York Central main line going south from Cleveland, the Big Four,  and also a fictitious branch line.
My layout has two levels with the main line on the lower and the branch on the upper, with a helix connecting them.
I hope to show some layout pictures as I become more proficient with my camera and lighting work.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

ACL1504

Jeff,

Looking forward to the layout photos.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

nycjeff

I've finished dry brushing the walls and added bottom trim color to one of the walls. Painter windows are also visible

More walls with bottom trim painted

I've added the shingled walls after trimming sides and window openings with a sharp blade and installed the painted corner trim where indicated in the instructions. The welding stencil was a first for me and it came out reasonable well. A little dark, but hopefully it will lighten up when weathered. The lighting is a little better on this picture. I still have to improve my technique. I'm no where near the quality that I see in other build threads.

I've added some signs and window shades using colored construction paper cut to size. That's it for now. More to follow
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

nycjeff

Walls are being assembled and everything fit together well.

This top view shows all the walls assembled and the location of all the bracing

Next I added a foundation to the walls using 1/8 x 1/4 stripwood painted grey to suggest a concrete finish

I then added scale 2x4 stripwood painted with the trim color to the dividing line of the upper and lower walls. This was not part of the kit, but I thought that it added a nice finish touch to the building

2x6 stripwood that was part of the kit was painted and added to the gable ends. I really like the look of the shingle walls next to the clapboard siding, a nice touch in the kit's design

Another view of the assembled walls with the painted trim pieces installed. The two small roof dormers can be seen next to the building, these were the most difficult part of the build, especially installing the shingles on the sides of the dormers.

Another wall/ trim piece view. The wall stencil can be plainly seen here. Hope to lighten it up when doing the finishing weathering with pastel chalks.

Working on the roof dormers, adding the shingles and installing the windows. Not easy, but worth the effort. The dormers give the roof a unique look.

Cut the corrugated roof material and painted the pieces with rattle can silver paint, then started applying washes to get the rust effect I was looking for.

I used several color washes, burnt umber, burnt sienna ans a yellow summer squash. I'm still experimenting with this technique.

These are the craft paints I used for this build. That's it for now. More to follow
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

Janbouli

Looking great , nice colors , well done.
I love photo's, don't we all.

WigWag Workshop

Looking great! Like the colors you chose, and the extra trim you added, it's a nice touch.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ReadingBob

Looking really nice Jeff.  That's an interesting structure too.  Like many of the FOS kits a nice combination of materials/textures as well as a lot of variety to the structure itself with all the additions and different angles.  Should look great on your layout when it finds a home there!  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision