Vehicles for the Delaware & Northern RR

Started by jerryrbeach, April 06, 2017, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

Next, I painted the "rims".  I used some full strength acrylic for this, choosing Raw Sienna craft paint to simulate fresh rust.  I dipped my brush in the paint, then unloaded part of the paint onto a piece of cardstock before applying the paint to the wheel rim.  By using the paint without thinning it, and unloading the brush, I was able to apply the rust color without having it bleed onto the felloe (the wood part that the rim is seated on). 

I drilled out the centers of the wheels with a .022 drill to make sure they would slid easily on the .020 axles. After test fitting the wheels, I thought they were too close to the wagon box sides.  I drilled some Evergreen styrene rod and made some hubs for the ends of the axles.  I would drill into the rod using a .022 drill in a pin vise, slice it on my Chopper, then drill from the blind end.  I did this because I found if I tried to drill completely through prior to cutting the hubs to length the drill would wander off center, rendering the hub un-useable.  I made my hubs roughly 6 scale inches long and ACC'd them in place on the wire stub axles.  Once I had everything assembled I realized I probably should have made the hubs about half as long, something I will change when I build another wagon. 

Once I had the wheels in place I drilled out the skeins with a .022 drill in a pin vise.  I removed the skeins from the carrier sheet and glued them on the ends of the axles tight against the outside of the wheels.  Then I used flush cutting pliers to cut the axles to length and did some paint touch up to cover the shiny ends of the brass axles.  I also painted the white plastic hubs red to match the wood axles. 
Jerry