2020 Build Challenge: FSM The Rock Bunker

Started by rpdylan, January 01, 2020, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Never built that one but I always like it's looks. You are doing A fine job.

Karl

rpdylan

thanks Bob and karl!
    this kit is nothing but strip wood in bags! ha ha!.... the instructions call for the plate and NBWs to be put on after the framing is done, but I'm holding off until the floor and interior bunker walls are done.  The flooring is put in board by board, then the interior walls are made by edge gluing strip wood together. I made a template using some thin cardboard to check the fit and its all looking good so far....
Bob C.

SteveCuster

Looking good Bob. This is the first FSM kit I built. Those almost 50 year old dry transfers can be tough to work with.
Steve Custer

carl b

Carl

sdrees

Hey Bob, very nice work.  The weathering looks just great!
Steve Drees
SP RR

Mark Dalrymple

S&S RR

Bob

The build looks great! I really love these old FSM kits.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

richbeau

Wonderful build!  Lots of info here thanks. 

All of you guys have been hitting my on-the-shelf collection pretty heavily lately. This is just another kit that I have that I will eventually build.  ;D
--Rich

Opa George

Bob, the wood coloring and construction is extremely well done.  I love the look of this already.
--Opa George

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks just beautiful. Love all the grafitti.

karl

NEMMRRC

Quote from: rpdylan on February 04, 2020, 01:56:18 PM
thanks Bob and karl!
    this kit is nothing but strip wood in bags! ha ha!.... the instructions call for the plate and NBWs to be put on after the framing is done, but I'm holding off until the floor and interior bunker walls are done.  The flooring is put in board by board, then the interior walls are made by edge gluing strip wood together. I made a template using some thin cardboard to check the fit and its all looking good so far....
I've enjoyed best the board-by-board builds from FSM. It's like building the real in miniature..... Wait, isn't that what were after here  ;D

Jaime

rpdylan

Yes it is Jaime!!
thanks to all for following and the kind comments.
    got all of the framing done on the main portion, including the floor studs that sit underneath.  This scratch tool I use for smaller pieces, (Karl O. idea)
Bob C.

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, Bob.

Nice little scratch tool.

Cheers, Mark.

rpdylan

does anyone have a close up photo of the top details of this model? I am looking at the upper horizontal conveyor assembly where the motor is and I am thinking I'm missing a casting. the instructions call for a two piece motor casting that operates the horizontal belt and the photos with the kit are not very clear in this area.  thanks
Bob C.

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

looks just great so far. Another great FSM kit.

Karl