Started by ACL1504, March 17, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

BandOGuy

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 26, 2020, 05:11:17 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on March 26, 2020, 09:19:01 AM
.....and the A&S paint shop is open for business. Looking good Tom.  8)

Bob,

Good idea but, no. He also might chip what I've already done.

Tom ;D

I resemble that remark!
Greg might mar it.
He might get finger prints on it or drool on it.
Worst case, he might sag the paint at warp speed.
But he will NOT chip it. I had nothing to do with it. I was SiP'ing all day in the basement, working on a structure. If I ever figure out how to post pictures here, I have irrefutable proof.
Chip "Proudly" Stevens   :D :D
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

Oldguy

Looks really good.  I have some older brass diesels that the foam became part of the trucks and frame.  Should be good candidates to try painting brass.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looks like you are working on it.

Karl

GPdemayo

Thanks for the good thoughts Chip.....you are almost 100 % right.....I'd never chip, drool or leave prints on one of Tom's great paint jobs, sag a little, but NEVER chip, drool or print.  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

NKP768

Looking good Tom,
Do you bake any of the finishes? - I have been media blasting everything with a 250 grit aluminum flake that leaves a nice surface for the paint. A friend who custom painted for years also put me on to using the Scalecoat NYC Dark Grey instead of any of the engine blacks as they tend to hide detail under normal layout lighting. As I'm modeling the late steam years on the Nickel Plate I usually don't Graphite the smoke boxes but hit with a little light grey prior to weathering and it gives just enough color variation to suggest there was something there besides paint once. Anyway didn't mean to hijack your thread-keep up the great work and stay safe.
Doug

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on March 25, 2020, 08:00:38 PM
If convenient, could you dab a bit of that Scalecoat graphite onto a white card and send me a photo?  I have some on order, but it'll help me to see what that color looks like.  (I'll be using it for oil tanks painted "graphite.")

Thanks in advance!

dave

Dave,  Again, it appears lighter in the photo. Hope this helps.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on March 26, 2020, 08:29:48 PM
Beautiful work Tom!

John,

Thank you my friend, much appreciate your compliment.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: BandOGuy on March 26, 2020, 09:34:45 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on March 26, 2020, 05:11:17 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on March 26, 2020, 09:19:01 AM
.....and the A&S paint shop is open for business. Looking good Tom.  8)

Bob,

Good idea but, no. He also might chip what I've already done.

Tom ;D

I resemble that remark!
Greg might mar it.
He might get finger prints on it or drool on it.
Worst case, he might sag the paint at warp speed.
But he will NOT chip it. I had nothing to do with it. I was SiP'ing all day in the basement, working on a structure. If I ever figure out how to post pictures here, I have irrefutable proof.
Chip "Proudly" Stevens   :D :D

Chip,

Agreed to all the above but no chipping!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Oldguy on March 26, 2020, 09:59:41 PM
Looks really good.  I have some older brass diesels that the foam became part of the trucks and frame.  Should be good candidates to try painting brass.

Bob,

Thank you. I sold all my brass diesels. The ACL, SAL and FEC early paint schemes were some I didn't want to tackle. Although I did do all them on Athearn F7 shells. This of course was long prior to Walthers, Intermountain and others coming out with these same paint schemes.

I had one brass loco "grow" some box foam but a bath in Acetone cured the problem.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on March 27, 2020, 07:51:31 AM
Hey Tom:

Looks like you are working on it.

Karl

Karl,

Yepper, I'm knee deep in brass painting these days.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 27, 2020, 08:43:39 AM
Thanks for the good thoughts Chip.....you are almost 100 % right.....I'd never chip, drool or leave prints on one of Tom's great paint jobs, sag a little, but NEVER chip, drool or print.  ::)

Greg,

You left yourself open for this one. You didn't mention anything about elbows.

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 28, 2020, 01:34:03 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on March 27, 2020, 08:43:39 AM

Greg,

You left yourself open for this one. You didn't mention anything about elbows.

Tom 8)

I didn't mention our elbows because I haven't seen any foam on your steam engine collection.  ???
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on March 27, 2020, 11:55:41 AM
Looking good Tom,
Do you bake any of the finishes? - I have been media blasting everything with a 250 grit aluminum flake that leaves a nice surface for the paint. A friend who custom painted for years also put me on to using the Scalecoat NYC Dark Grey instead of any of the engine blacks as they tend to hide detail under normal layout lighting. As I'm modeling the late steam years on the Nickel Plate I usually don't Graphite the smoke boxes but hit with a little light grey prior to weathering and it gives just enough color variation to suggest there was something there besides paint once. Anyway didn't mean to hijack your thread-keep up the great work and stay safe.
Doug

Doug,

First, you are welcome to post any comment or question on any of my posts. I never consider it as hijacking the thread. We are all here to learn from each other.

I bake all the finishes at 170 in the oven for 45 minutes.

I've only had a few occasions where it was necessary to "blast" the brass for painting. 96% of the brass I painted was unpainted and only the clear coat needed to be removed.

Scalecoat NYC Dark Gray is a great loco color and so I SP Dark Gray, not sure this is still available. I do have one unopened bottle from the good ole days. I've never painted a loco with Black or Loco Black. I came up with my mix back in the 70's and it gives a nice loco color depending on the finish I add. The same Langford Black will look like four different colors depending on Flat, Semi-Flat, Semi-Gloss and Gloss finishes. Of course any weathering will also change the color.

I always paint the smoke box and fire box with a color variation of Scalecoat Graphite and Oil. I let the weathering do the rest.

I appreciate your taking time to post your thoughts.

The next several photos are of locos I've painted and weathered. The first has a little coal smoke stains on the smoke box.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com