Fine Scale Miniatures Jewel Series #10 Avram's Bakery for the S&S RR

Started by ReadingBob, January 04, 2019, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Oh my, I haven't posted any updates to this for quite some time but I have made progress.  I'd better hurry or Karl will be finished with two or three more builds before I move onto my next.   ;D

I took all the boards for the water tank, stained them with driftwood and then put them on a piece of painters tape side by side and even at the bottom.  I drew a line where the top of the 'water' is going to be inside the tank and then added some moss extending from the line upwards towards the top of the tank using AK Interactive Moss Deposits.

I noticed that if I wrapped the boards (still on the tape) around the tank I was coming up with a little bit of gap.  So I made a mental note to not glue them together as tight as I normally might hoping the extra space would resolve any gap issue I might have.

Then I started gluing them onto the water.  This certainly would be a leaky tank if that was real water in there.  :o

This was actually fun to assemble.  It's been a while since I put together a water tank that was a sheet of scribed wood wrapped around a dowel.

I added some moss to the bottom of the tank on the outside after it was assembled and then marked off where the bands would go.  I actually ended up with an extra board and had to cut one down a bit to close the final gap.  I could have glued them together a little bit tighter than I did. 

Using the marks as a guide I drilled holes in one side of the tank to glue the end of the thread that will be used to band the tank.

More in a moment.... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Just finished the board by board water tank on Houligan's Alley. Fun isn't it. I'm sure yours will look just great.

Karl

ReadingBob

The tank bands are thread.  One end gets glued in the hole that I drilled, the thread gets wrapped around the tank and then glued to where down over the piece that goes in the hole.  I trimmed them with scissors.  This side will be against the building so it'll be pretty well hidden.

There are a couple of pipes that come out of the building and go down into the water.  The pipes are made of some pretty heavy wire included in the kit.  I cut the wire with some hardened wire cutters.  The wire included in the kit will chew up rail nippers or regular wire cutters.

The pipes get bent, a little piece or insulation from a piece or wire gets slide on over them to make the joints and then they get painted a nice rust color and glued in place.  The tank is in place now and looking suitably grungy.  :o

A little bit of scenery was added beneath the stairs as this will be difficult to get to later on.  This is just the start of the scenery though.  I'll add more weeds and debris later on.  ;)

Took a break and started adding details to the main structure.

The details add a lot to the overall appearance.

More in a moment... :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: postalkarl on October 04, 2019, 02:55:12 PM
Hey Bob:

Just finished the board by board water tank on Houligan's Alley. Fun isn't it. I'm sure yours will look just great.

Karl

Thanks Karl.  I like the way you substituted paper for the thread when you added the bands on that one.  They look really nice.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Time to get started on the coffee shop.  I followed the instructions on this and didn't stain the wall before painting them like I usually do.  Partly because I was following the instructions and partly because I forgot to stain them.   ::)  I painted them white first (Polly Scale Reefer White).

Then I painted the lower portion with Floquil Depot Buff.  These are the same colors George used except he used the Floquil Reefer White and the Polly Scale Depot Buff.   :P

I added the nail holes with a ponce wheel as per the templates.

Next up I applied a wash of A&I.  A little darker than I would normally use on a structure I'm trying to make look not too old/weathered but the next step was to go back with a Q-Tip dipped in plain old rubbing alcohol and scrub some of the darkness off.  That worked okay.  It leaves a little of the darker stuff down in the crevices.

The windows and doors where glued in place next.

Then all the cool signs and posters were added to the walls.   ;D

More in a moment... :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I just used plain old Elmer's White Glue to glue the posters to the walls.  Bent a few corners down here and there and lightly weathered one or two by scrubbing a bit with some fine steel wool.

I liked the way, the pilot model, the back wall had posters over top of posters so I did the same thing.

3M Transfer tape was then applied to the roof.

Trimmed the 3M Transfer tape to fit after sticking it on the roof.

This was done the same way as the main structure.  The 3M Transfer tape was exposed and then strips of the roofing material were add to the roof.  It got painted afterwards.

The roofing material was trimmed to fit using scissors.  I love these little micro sheer scissors that Friskar sells for stuff like this.

More in a moment... :P
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I came up with a simple little light bar that fits inside the structure.  It consists of a current limiter and 3 LED's.  I had to cut a hole in the inner wall to slide it through and put a support or two in place to hold it.

The lower roof is removable in case the lights need servicing.  The only thing I didn't think of was the electrical lines that get attached to the roof.  Oh well, I didn't glue that casting in place so it can be popped out but hopefully the LED's will never need to be serviced.  ::)

Time to add the vents, chimney, etc.

A piece of wire is used for one of the vent pipes.  I glued this in place with some ACC prior to painting it.  I find painting it afterwards just as easy.  Since there will be a little pitch added around the base no worries about getting too accurate where it goes into the roof.

That's all for now.  Getting close to adding streets, sidewalks, etc. and buttoning this one up!

Thanks for following along!

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Zephyrus52246

Nice work so far, Bob.  The moss effect on the tank is really neat.

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Wow.  Both the main building and the restaurant really look great.  Glad to see it so close to the finish line. 
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks just great and look someone else who uses double faced adhesive.

Karl

Jerry

Looks great Bob!!  Love that water tank with the moss excellent detailing!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ReadingBob

Quote from: S&S RR on October 04, 2019, 03:41:10 PM
Bob the build looks fantastic! I can't wait to see it.
Thanks John!  Can't wait until you can see it either.  Getting closer (after all these months).   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net