FSM Chippy Hollow Hardware

Started by SteveCuster, December 07, 2019, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

Hello everyone,

My next kit in line to be built is FSM Chippy Hollow Hardware Co.

I figure most everyone knows this kit but here is a photo of the box.

Lots of lead castings in this box. Most of the work with this kit will be painting all of them.

This is all the wood included with the kit.

Primed and sorted the castings that mostly represent wood. I used Rust-Oleum Khaki for these.

Anything that represents metal is blackened with Jax Pewter Black.

I primed the walls with gray auto primer.

Next I washed the walls with A&I.

I wanted some variation in the different stones but still keep is subtle so I used alcohol and powdered Rembrandt chalks to color some of the stones. The colored the walls with A&I before this so it didn't wash away all the chalk. The A&I really helps create some depth between the stones.

I used a thin brush to wick some A&I between the stones to give some shadow to them.

I dry brushed the walls with a very light tan color.

I liked the Floquil Depot Buff color for the windows but I substituted it for Apple Barrel Khaki.

2 washes of A&I really helped tone the trim down a bit.

The kit calls for gluing these wooden spacers to the bottle of the cast walls. I primed them with gray just incase they were visible somehow but I don't believe it is necessary.

I started working on the windows and doors. Still need some work before I installed them.

I'm jumping around a bit with this kit while I wait for things to dry. While the epoxy was drying between the walls and the wood filler pieces I painted some of the castings. I'm a big fan of these fuel canister castings. I haven't seen these in one of George's kits before. I use double sided tape and a tongue depressor to hold the castings while I paint them. For metal castings the 3M double sided tape from Staples or Walmart won't hold them so I use carpet tape from Home Depot.

Thanks for following along.

Does anyone have any photos of Brian Nolan's build of this kit? I remember seeing his years ago but when I google it I only find a thread on the railroad-line forum and the photos are super small.

Steve Custer

Janbouli

Off to a great start Steve, I'll be following.
I love photo's, don't we all.

richbeau

I just picked up a Chippy Hollow wall & windows set from Jimmy at a local MRR show. So I'm following... might pick up a thing or two.  ;)
--Rich

S&S RR

Steve

You are off to a great start.  I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Steve.

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Steve, I am happily following along. Those masonry wall castings turned out great.  Very effective technique. Thanks for that.
--George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone. Glad to have you following along.

Rich, It's great that Jimmy has these castings for sale. I haven't seen them up close but the photos look like they are very crisp and clean. I built a few of his hydrocal kits and the castings were very crisp and clean so I'd expect the same from the FSM details. Tons of great structures can be built around these wall castings. I've been thinking about buying his Sewall Foundry set for a project I'm thinking of. I really like the fact that they have very low lead content also. I have 2 young kids and a baby so I really have to be careful working with these older kits. I always change my clothes and take a shower after working with them.

Steve Custer

Jerry

Nice start Steve.  Really like the coloring on the walls.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

looking great so far. I really like what you have done with the stone work I'm following along.

Karl

ACL1504

Steve,

I agree, great start. I'm following along as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Neat kit.....I'll be looking in Steve.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Bruce Oberleitner

Very impressive modelwork.  I think you have another winner on your hands.

Btw, the layout looks amazing.

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone.

I made a little more progress on the stone walls over the last few days.

The wooden pieces glued to the top and the bottom of the walls interfere with the other walls they are glued to so I used a razor saw to notch them.

I was having some trouble getting a clean cut with the razor saw so I just hacked this out with a X-acto chisel blade.

I mocked the corners together to make sure I had a tight fit.

I started adding the windows and doors to the walls.

I glued the walls together using 2 part epoxy. George recommends adding the open windows and the little smokestack before assembling the walls but I prefer to do it after. Less chance of knocking them off during the gluing and clamping.

While the walls were drying I colored up a few crates. If I paint 6-12 castings every time I'm waiting for something to dry I should have most of them done when it comes time to start detailing.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad