window signs

Started by Ray, June 26, 2020, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

Hi all,
I'm buildings some structure kits for a 1940s "Main Street" and I am wishing to put signs (lettering) in the windows.  I've seen various signs on model structures online and a search on the web revealed some people custom make their signs on their printer using clear film for inkjets.  The only problem is most signs are white and home printers do not print white, additionally I tried it with different colors and the printer ink does not have enough "color" to stand out if the interior is not lit.    I am wishing to custom make the signs.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

ReadingBob

Welcome to the forum Ray! 

I wish I could help you out with your question but nothing's coming to mind. I'm sure others here might be able to offer some ideas.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jerryrbeach

Ray,

I'm a low tech guy and here is a low tech method straight from Bar Mills.  Print your signs on white paper or card with a black background and glue inside the window "glass".  This is easy to do with Excel or a similar program.  Leave the lettering white and print the background color.  Of course, you can't do an interior if you do this.
Jerry

GPdemayo

Excellent idea Jerry..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

vinceg

Quote from: jerryrbeach on June 26, 2020, 07:45:43 AM
Ray,

I'm a low tech guy and here is a low tech method straight from Bar Mills.  Print your signs on white paper or card with a black background and glue inside the window "glass".  This is easy to do with Excel or a similar program.  Leave the lettering white and print the background color.  Of course, you can't do an interior if you do this.

News I can use - Thanks, Jerry.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Ray

Quote from: jerryrbeach on June 26, 2020, 07:45:43 AM
Ray,

Thanks Jerry, that's probably the route I'll go...