KCs workshop Bonney Wrenches, 2020 build Challenge

Started by ACL1504, February 21, 2020, 06:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I finally decided to start the build challenge. For the longest time I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted to build but I knew it had to be something I needed on the layout.

I choose KC's Workshop Bonney Wrenches. However, my version will be a kit bash to fit my desire to have something different and also to fit in the area I have a real estate site available.

This structure is one the F&SM.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is the basic kit Kenny manufactured.

The kit comes with no instructions but honestly they aren't needed for this kit. Four walls, a coupla, roof and doors and windows and you are off.

There are no casting as shown in George's version. Jimmy D. is the go to guy for all things FSM casting related if you want ot build it as showmn on the FSM.

WWW.railroadkitss.com.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Mr. Crump also has a great sense of humor. He equates the difficulty level of this kit at two Xacto knives.

Included in the kit is a sheet of great looking signs. Unfortunately I won't be using them for my build.

In prepping for this build, I did a search for all my Xacto knives. I found many all over the place but I think a few are still missing. 8)

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

vinceg

Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

postalkarl

Tom:

One of my favorite FSM buildings. Is it still available from the Manufacturer? Will be following along.

Karl

jerryrbeach

Tom,

I picked this up from Ken when it was available so I'll be watching closely.  I'm waiting to build mine until I know exactly where I am going to place it on my layout.  That way I can swap ends if necessary to make it better suit my available space.
Jerry

ReadingBob

You know I'll be watching.  I don't recall seeing this one before (aside from on the FSM).  This'll be fun.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: vinceg on February 21, 2020, 06:27:17 PM
Love the kit - will be fun to watch this.

Vince,

Thanks for following along. It should be fun to build as well.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on February 21, 2020, 07:10:18 PM
Tom:

One of my favorite FSM buildings. Is it still available from the Manufacturer? Will be following along.

Karl

Karl,

I like the F&SM building as well and this is a great little kit of it. I think this kit is now out of stock but contact Kenny at KC's Workshop to find out for sure.

Thanks for following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 22, 2020, 07:51:33 AM

Tom,

I picked this up from Ken when it was available so I'll be watching closely.  I'm waiting to build mine until I know exactly where I am going to place it on my layout.  That way I can swap ends if necessary to make it better suit my available space.

Jerry,

I've always liked this structure on the F&SM and I'm very happy Kenny decided to add this to his kit list.  However, I must tell you I'm planing on kit bashing this so it won't be a stock build of the original kit.

Mine will have a second story for either an office of on site apartment for the owner.  I haven't decide yet what type of business it will be but I have a couple ideas in my mind. I'll share the decision later when I actually get  started.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 22, 2020, 08:16:11 AM
You know I'll be watching.  I don't recall seeing this one before (aside from on the FSM).  This'll be fun.   :D

Bob,

Thanks for following along. Also, it was good to see you this afternoon.Enjoyed lunch as well.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This afternoon I started to clean the wall sections. I used a new #17 Xacto blade to remove the small window blanks.

When removing door openings that are close to a narrow wall piece, be very careful not to break the narrow wall piece. In the next photo you can see where I'm cutting the area where the laser stopped. When pushing down on the blade, it causes stress on the weakest part of the narrow wall piece. The red pencil shows you the weak point of the wall when cutting. This is where it most often breaks if not careful.

This bit of information comes to you free of charge as I speak from experience in breaking narrow wall sections.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I don't plan on using the cupola so these two pieces go back in the bag.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com