The Outie Award for Best Story - "Structural Kit Purchases"

Started by GPdemayo, November 04, 2014, 06:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I gave the Wilfred J. Brambell Co. FSM kit to Reading Bob several years ago and pay for his lunch each time he comes to visit. I still think I'm the lucky one getting off so cheap.

The investment was well worth it! How often can one get a Master Builder to work for him for only the Brambell kit and a few lunches.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

gnatshop

Glad this was extended - it gives a few more days to send our thoughts and prayers to Pegi!!
You'll get your stinkin' story after Pegi is better (important things first!).

ACL1504

Quote from: gnatshop on November 11, 2014, 02:41:57 PM
Glad this was extended - it gives a few more days to send our thoughts and prayers to Pegi!!

Gman,

I'm not heartless, I've been checking on Greg and Pegi since last Friday! Just so ya know.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Greg

Thoughts and prayers for Pegi and you. I hope everything is okay! 
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

gnatshop

Quote from: ACL1504 on November 11, 2014, 02:53:59 PM
Gman,
I'm not heartless, I've been checking on Greg and Pegi since last Friday! Just so ya know.
Tom ;D
Heck, I knew that without askin'!
That's just what good friends do, not to mention that it's a requirement of being Grand PooPahh
of the SBG!

Greg, FYI - Even the Ledbetters delayed their regular Tuesday night trip to the beer joint to take
a few minutes to pray for Pegi (notice that's delayed, not cancelled  ;D ;D )!
Now that should show you just how seruss your Arkie friends are!!!

GPdemayo

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on November 05, 2014, 02:56:44 PM
I don't think this qualifies but I know this guy who bought a lighting kit off of me and I sent him this email a few years ago...

-slim

Hi Bill.....I don't think it qualifies, but it was funnier than heck.....especially JimmyD's reaction!  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on November 11, 2014, 10:53:15 AM
Greg,

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Pegi and you.  I sure hope she gets well soon.

Sorry, I can't think of an interesting story for the contest.  I have lot's and lot's of kits but no good stories with regards to purchases.  My most prized possession is probably an FSM kit, #205 the Wilfred J. Brambell Co, which wasn't a purchase.  It was given as a gift in return for building structures for someone who shall remain nameless.   :D

Thanks Bob.....a small scare, but everything turned out all right. I'll fill you in when I see you Saturday.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: gnatshop on November 11, 2014, 02:41:57 PM

Thanks for you thoughts Dave.....I look forward to reading your "stinkin' story".  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: S&S RR on November 11, 2014, 06:03:53 PM
Greg

Thoughts and prayers for Pegi and you. I hope everything is okay!

Thanks John.....a small scare and everything is back to abnormal.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Quote from: GPdemayo on November 13, 2014, 11:08:02 AM
Quote from: Slim Jerkins on November 05, 2014, 02:56:44 PM
I don't think this qualifies but I know this guy who bought a lighting kit off of me and I sent him this email a few years ago...

-slim

Hi Bill.....I don't think it qualifies, but it was funnier than heck.....especially JimmyD's reaction!  ;D

I think JimmyD still has a nervous twitch that can be directly attributed to that prank.   :o   :D   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Here is my little tale. Remember, my story does NOT qualified for the contest, but I thought it would be fun to share.

The kit that got me is the Branchline Trains #659 - Canaan Station.

I saw photos of this on their website, just after I was getting back in the hobby back in 2008, and really liked the look of the kit. It is large (right to left - 20" & top to bottom - 18-1/4") and I knew then, as I do now, that I just wouldn't have room for the kit on the layout, but I still think it is a good looking structure.

The one thing that kept grabbing my attention was the open loading dock. I kept envisioning the clutter with stacks of crates, steamer trunks, luggage, luggage carts and little people all hurrying to get everything ready for the next arriving passenger train.

As I was checking the websites over the years, I kept coming back to Branchline and checking out the photos of the station and I kept imagining the scene, especially lit with some of those great LED's from Slim. I felt like a moth being drawn to the light.

Then I got a catalogue from Micro-Mark, earlier this year, and there it was on sale. Since I'm part Scottish and had a Jewish room mate in collage for a couple of years, I come by me thriftiness quite naturally.....here is a station that I really like, absolutely don't need, but I just can't pass up such a great sale. I was doomed.

What can I say, I am weak and since I wasn't in a 12 step program at the time, I had nobody to call to help me stop this compulsive behavior. I made the call to Micro-Mark, gave them my credit card number and am now the proud owner of a kit that I will someday build, but can't possibly add to the layout. 

Oh, Pegi suggested, after the fact, that I call Tom when I have these spells. I got a big chuckle out of that and responded that how would a guy with more kits than the average hobby shop be of much help. She did admit that I might have a point. There's never a tape recorder around when you need one.

So, that's my tale of woe and I'm sure others out there have had a similar experience, hence the idea for this contest.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Janbouli

There's always room on a layout for that station, just put it anywhere where you can replace a straight piece of track with a crossing.

I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Jan, I really wish I had room for it on the layout, but I just can't find a spot to work it in and have it look right.

I enjoyed your build of this kit.....great work.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL