2020 build challenge Scrap yard

Started by bparrish, March 26, 2020, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

So I got a bunch or bench time in today.   I'm getting close on finishing the scene and the build.  Only more clutter to add.

For now...... here are the latest photos.

So you must have a junk yard dog............ they have him chained up in an old C cab delivery wagon body.

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Janbouli

Really nice addition to your layout , great scene.
I love photo's, don't we all.

vinceg

Yep - very scrappy. Totally convincing. Looks very good, Bob.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Jim Donovan

Bob;

Just caught up. Really great scene and story, I think Mac would appreciate it, unless of course the Model T was his!. Can I ask what you did to make the railroad crossings for the dirt road? As you know I am modeling same time frame and like the look you have.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

fbernard65

Looks terrific.  Great use of the Shack pack from Bar Mills.  Make sure to send pics to Artie. 

Frank

bparrish

Thank you one and all...

Jim....... the roads are really simple.  I poured really thin plaster of Paris between the raised road beds at each crossing.  Letting it flow out and kick off slowly.   Then I used my standard dirt.

This will problematic for any in the east as our soil here sooooooo different.  Southwest Idaho is an ancient lake bottom...... part of the Bonneville.......... and with that comes a thick layer of highly compacted lake bottom sediments.  (locally called coleechee), Further, we are downhill from the later pushed up mountains.......... still going on if you recall we had a 6.5 just two days ago.............

That downhill activity brings some highly alkaline sediments and a lot of calcium.  Thus the soil had a light tan color.  Even at that when it gets "wet" with glue to hold it down it turns a bit darker.  In areas of the country with really dark soils this goes nearly black and yells really loud against all other scenicing materials.

What I look for is where the gophers have created a colony in the desert and churned up the hard layer of sedimentary layer which is lighter still.  What I end up with is a powder material that is nearly talc like and extremely light in weight and scales out well to HO.  Locals here call it alkali blow sand.  Yes it does just what it says.......... we get dirt storms in the spring when the weather changes and the wind kicks it up.

There is no paint on the plaster, just full strength white glue brushed on and the dirt thrown on after.  When dry I vacuum up what won't stick.  I don't worry about retrieving the loose as it is a short trip to the desert from here.  I usually get a five gallon bucket when I do go.   Just like when I go out harvesting sage brush for tree armatures...... when anyone sees you in the desert with a black herfty bag, they leave you alone as they think you are only gathering trash.  I don't carry a neon sign with me that says "crazy model railroader".

For the boards in the grade crossings........... I first put a short piece of code 70 rail on the inside of the spikes of the commercial flex track and glue it down with super glue. Then cram in 2x10 scale lumber and a few on the outside of the stock rails also as ramps.

The coloring is aniline dye.  I don't use A/I as it is too black.   I can't seem to get a good grey color from it.  The wood is glued down with yellow wood working glue.

There you have it.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Opa George

I love it. Nice scene.
--Opa George

Zephyrus52246

The whole scene looks great, most likely due to the CB&Q reefer in the picture.   ;D

Jeff

bparrish

Jeff....

Funny you should point that out.  That car and two others are really with similar markings early silver streak cars from my dads railroad in 1947. I had to refit them some years ago as the muselage and casine glues had failed.  They are my only exception post USRA 40 foot cars.

Thanx for looking in.

See ya
Bob

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Wonderful job on this. The detail is incredible.

Karl

Lynnb

The fence signs are a great addition, you have so much small details that I didn't see the first time around.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com