Falk Locomotive build

Started by bparrish, March 19, 2014, 01:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

John...

Wood parts were bolted to steel bracketing.  Typically there might be some "L" bracket that was held to the wood with carriage bolts and then bolted to the larger structure with cap bolts and nuts.

Corner reinforcing was also done with "L" brackets and carriage bolts.

My plan was to drill into the bottom boards of the cab with relatively large holes and fill them with CA glue.  Then position and mark for machine screws.  Then drill into the cured CA and hang 00-90 or 0-80 machine screws.  CA actually takes threads rather well............  That was how I was going to bolt the cab to the deck that is already done.

So I'll lay it out and do it in brass.  It was always sort of a back up plan if the wood didn't work.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on March 22, 2014, 02:06:32 PM
John...

Wood parts were bolted to steel bracketing.  Typically there might be some "L" bracket that was held to the wood with carriage bolts and then bolted to the larger structure with cap bolts and nuts.

Corner reinforcing was also done with "L" brackets and carriage bolts.

My plan was to drill into the bottom boards of the cab with relatively large holes and fill them with CA glue.  Then position and mark for machine screws.  Then drill into the cured CA and hang 00-90 or 0-80 machine screws.  CA actually takes threads rather well............  That was how I was going to bolt the cab to the deck that is already done.

So I'll lay it out and do it in brass.  It was always sort of a back up plan if the wood didn't work.

see ya
Bob

I will be waiting to see how this works out.  Good luck!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

gnatshop

The Riff-Raff crew always keeps a Back-Door in mind!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

jbvb

If I had to glue wood to brass, I'd use either epoxy or a contact cement.  For a relatively large lamination operation, I'd think about Walthers Goo, since that remains flexible long-term.  But I haven't actually done something the size of your cab.
James

S&S RR

Bob

Which way did you decide to go - wood over brass or forget the wood?
John Siekirk

bparrish

James and all.....

I've never built anything this big either.  I can't believe how easy it is to quarter drives in G scale.  You only have to be close and it likes it.  HO is a bear.

I'm working on using brass.  I have the layout and the first side is part way done.  A lot of hand filing and measuring.

thanx
Bob

bparrish

So here is the first of the cab sides in brass.  Hard to believe that the lay out and fitting was about ten hours. The second one won't be so long.

It's also amazing how much distortion - fish eye occurs when taking something close up.  Nothing looks square!!

Still needs polished out and the windows fitted.

see ya
Bob

ACL1504

Bob,

Looking good! A brass cab, wow! Can't wait to see it together.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Looks great Bob.  I just think this is a very neat project!  Maybe someday - but do I need another project?
John Siekirk

gnatshop

I had no doubt!!
Li'l Bobby has the brass 'body parts' to pull this together!!  ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

bparrish

Got both cab sides done.  The second took half the time of the first.  I cheated......  I traced the first onto the second so the layout time was only a few minutes compared to an hour or more.

Now on to the cab front, which has to be made in two sections; the upper with windows and the lowers as they need to be removable from the larger cab for assembly purposes.

see ya
Bob

bparrish

So I got the scribed lower panels put in which also became the lower window rail.  The windows slide in tracks but I have not located the rail divider yet. The glass will go in last.

Now to the cab front.

see ya
Bob

EricQuebec

Awesome, awesome awesome.......
Eric Québec city

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

John Siekirk