FSM #130 - Ezra Coopers Garage

Started by GPdemayo, July 03, 2020, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Great framing keep up the great work.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

Thanks and I appreciate you looking in Bill..... :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jim Donovan

I just caught up with your build Greg, I too appreciate the time you are taking to explain the changes needed to follow real construction methods. I will be tagging along, thanks for sharing.

Great start on the kit, I have already picked up several pointers.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

GPdemayo

Thanks Jim, appreciate you looking in..... :) .

Have a safe trip north and hopefully this overblown virus scare will be toned down by next year and we'll have a chance to get together.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks JerryB..... :)

Glad to help and share things I learned over the years. I know a lot, but the industry is so large, that it is impossible to know everything about all areas.

My intention is not to pick on any one kit manufacturer, but point out areas that would make a model more representative of the real world. So, let's all have a little fun.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: Jerry on July 11, 2020, 08:57:21 PM
Great framing keep up the great work.

Jerry

Appreciate the compliment and thanks for looking in Jerry.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

You are quite welcome. As I said am following along.

Karl

GPdemayo

Hi again....this episode will deal with the side walls of the garage. I have built the walls in order of difficulty, going from the easiest, the rear wall to the hardest, the side walls.

In the previous part of this thread, I neglected to mention the process for using the templates for the wall framing in the build.

The templates that George furnishes with the kit are used to cut the pieces for the wall framing and them placed onto one sided tape over a copy of the elevation that is in being built. The tape holds them in place until the gluing is begun. This process was recommended by George in one of his kits that I put together many years ago and has been the way that I do it ever since.

Below is George's template for the side walls.....notice I said "template", it is marked in the big opening as "SIDES (MAKE 2)" If I use the template as is and add the siding to the framing I will have 2 left elevations.

Exhibit #1 - (ECG-015)

The solution is to mirror the left side elevation framing template to get a right side elevation framing template. If I still had a light table I could turn the drawing upside down and the light from under the table would make the lines on the underside of the paper visible.

As that was not an option, I used our Zerox copier and made a copy onto a sheet of old transparency. Once I had the copy, it was turned over and laid on top of a piece of blank white paper which gave me the mirrored effect I need....a right side elevation. It is difficult to see the transparency, but it is there, as shown below.

Exhibit #2 - (ECG-021)

As mentioned before, there is a rise in the wall height from the rear to the front of the building to give the roof a slope for water run off. As a result, each of the studs is cut to a slightly different height. Using the chopper, I cut 3 studs to the maximum height for that group, then cut each stud to fit. This helps minimize waste, which can be critical as some kits are real tight with the quantities of the different sizes of strip wood. The 4' and 8' siding blocking is included, as was done for the rear and front walls.

Exhibit #3 - (ECG-016)

After the cutting the studs, plates and blocking to fit, the siding installation was begun.

Exhibit #4 - (ECG-017)

After alll the siding was installed, the left elevation was complete.

Exhibit #5 - (ECG-018)

Exhibit #6 - (ECG-020)

Onto the right elevation next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hi all.....short post today.

The right elevation is complete and is a duplicate of the left as shown below. I'll get to the wall staining and painting in the next time.

Exhibit #1 - (ECG-023)

Exhibit #2 - (ECG-024)

The interior and exterior look at all four walls.

Exhibit #3 - (ECG-025)

Exhibit #4 - (ECG-026)

Sorry about the out of focus pictures.....I'll try to improve the quality in future posts.

That's all for now, got to head down to Tom's for some railroad misadventures and BS.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Moving right along there.  She's coming together quite nicely.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

Very nice Greg. Very professional looking.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on July 25, 2020, 11:19:55 AM
Moving right along there.  She's coming together quite nicely.   :D

Thanks Bob.....this first bit has been fun and I'm looking forward to moving along to the roof and floor soon.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 25, 2020, 03:33:00 PM
Very nice Greg. Very professional looking.

Thanks Curt.....the skills are getting better, but still not up to snuff to tackle some of the more complex kits.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL