CCK 18177 - Takoma Shops in HO Scale

Started by NEMMRRC, October 30, 2019, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

While at the GSMTS in Timonium, MD for the first perennial Craftsman Courtyard I procured one of Carolina Craftsman Kits (CCK) Takpma Shops in HO Scale. I saw this kit at the CCK website (https://carolinacraftsmankits.com) prior to the show and really liked it. I saw a built up model of it at the CCK booth at the show and decided I needed to build it. So here I am, back in the saddle again.

Here you have a photo of the box top that displays what the model looks like when built up by a competent modeler.

I will attempt (with both hands at the wheel) to achieve something that resembles that.

Stay tuned.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

I will start off by a brief discussion of a new feature I noticed about the CCK kits, the modelers degree of difficulty:

I had not noticed that before. That's how removed from building kits I've been for the past couple of years.

I browsed about the CCK booth and noticed the stock kits ranging from two hobby knives to four hobby knives depicting the degree of difficulty.

Takoma Shops ranks four hobby knives. As they say at they contest room, "go big or go home."  I will either triumph exceedingly or crash and burn catastrophically. I must ensure there are plenty of bandages in the first kit at home.

Up next.. the box's contents.

Jaime

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Janbouli

Will be taking front row seats following you Jaime, just to put some pressure on you , I expect nothing but the best. ;)
I love photo's, don't we all.

NEMMRRC

The kit's box is not very large. But don't judge a book by its cover. There is a crap ton of laser cut goodies inside that compact box.

This is what greets the modeler when first opening the box:

That is 4 pages of instructions with full color photos to illustrate how to build the model and 4 pages of bracing templates. That means there are a large bevy of walls to work on to build this cool kit.

After retrieving the instructions from the box one finds countless laser cut wooden walls and bundles of strip wood and custom windows and sidewalks and crisp styrene windows and metal castings and roofing and full color signage and you name it. I'll just show you a sample of all that.

Well, you get the idea. There is plenty to keep a rusty modeler busy for the next few weeks.

I better start gluing something together before folks start asking why I am not finished with this build yet.....

Up next... A brief glimpse of what CCK expects one of these kits to look like.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 30, 2019, 08:13:13 PMI'll be following.

Thank you !

Quote from: Janbouli on October 30, 2019, 08:13:55 PM
Will be taking front row seats following you Jaime, just to put some pressure on you , I expect nothing but the best. ;)

The best is yet to come.....

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Here you see Mr. CCK himself, Jeff Grove. He is thinking to himself, "Yes, these are the groovy kits you're looking for."

And this is what the built up model that CCK had on display at their booth looks like:

I have some big shoes to fill.

I need to go find my modeling tools. Honestly, they are packed away in bunches of boxes down in the basement and up in my home office. I may end up buying new stuff all over again before this is over. Anyway, I've started so I had better keep on moving.

It's great to be back here modeling with all you.

Later.

Jaime

jerryrbeach

Jaime,

Glad to have you back.  I'll be following along.
Jerry

Oldguy

Very interesting kit.  Take your time, read the instructions several times, test fit before gluing, you'll be fine.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Great looking kit. I'll be following along.
--George

JimF

I'll def be watching, as well, Jamie.

This kit is one of the few that make me want to just build kits I like, instead of trying to build kits for a certain theme, for a diorama.

Jim

Raymo

Congratulations on starting another build thread Jaime. Jeff is a Jedi Master when you're around his table, I always seem to buy something.

restocarp

Jaime,

Having seen your work in person, I am confident you will do an excellent job on this kit. After all you are an award winning modeller.

Matt

postalkarl

Hey NRMMRRC:

Nice kit. I will sure be be following along.

Karl

MAP

I'll be following along as well.  This is a nice looking building and I'm sure you'll do it justice!
Mark