plans for coal dock

Started by hairball, January 30, 2020, 02:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

I saw this on ebay and managed to purchase these set of plans, lost out on the other coal chute plans.

Got it in my hands today full size print.  Studying it, I see FSM #60 coal dock and also FSM #155 elevated coal dock that was shown built up on this site.  I can see where George got his influence to design a similar one into a kit.   Plans has all the right wood sizes and heigths so it could be built in any scale.  Shows coal cutes to both sides, interesting.

mike...........HAIRBALL

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

That's similar to the PFM 155 coal dock.  The problem with that style is it requires a long length of lead track (even at 4%) to get the hoppers up to the dock. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

hairball

I agree and that's probably why both the FSM #60 and the #155 were always for sale on ebay., because very few actually built them because of the elevated ramp needed.

But a 2 level MRR with the upper designed specifically  for similar buildings or even Ore docks could be utilized  . I'd just like to scratch build one in O scale----------so many plans so little time.

The other design I got outbid on , was a up the side of a hill type, also very interesting.

mike.........HAIRBALL

NEMMRRC

That would make a way cool coaling station on any layout of that era. I guess back then real estate was cheaper than machinery required to elevate the loads of coal thus the use of ramps.

Jaime