Modeling Aged concrete roads or walls

Started by Rail and Tie, October 07, 2020, 04:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rail and Tie

Not quite sure where to post this, but Jeff's technique for making aged concrete roads is fantastic. Would be great for eroded walls / retaining walls as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxQUgyz9EIs

He has some other great weathering videos as well.

Cheers!

Darryl
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

GPdemayo

Very interesting technique.....thanks Darryl.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Thanks for the link Darryl.  I'd like to try that someday.  It requires quite a few things I don't have on hand, some of which I didn't know existed (gotta get me some of those), but the effect is great.  Looks like a lot of roads I saw growing up I hard coal country in PA.  Between the heavy equipment/truck traffic and winters the roads were in less than stellar shape around the mining region.  :o
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Darryl

Interesting technique, thank you for sharing.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Rail and Tie

Yup, need to try this. Once I saw the Tull fabric, it all made sense to hold everything together and get realistic cracks.

I do something similar for my road and use thin craft foam. Then put a thin flat layer of colored plaster(with a bit of pva cement mixed in) over it to make the black top. When dry. Sand flat and then push on the foam and you get cracks!  AI wash gently in the cracks and you have aged roads. I was a little heavy handed with the cracked out chuncks, but you get the idea. Also you can remove small pieces of the cracked plaster and then lay in a road patch with more plaster with more paynes grey paint mixed in to make the patch look fresh.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com