2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

For this years challenge I will be building the FSM kit number 145 Coal tower.  This will probably not be a straight kit build because I plan on making some changes for the structure to fit better on my Superior & Seattle Railroad.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Stay tuned for some box opening pictures. ;)

I paid  North of the $32.25 price. :-[   What you pay for kits and golf scores are not supposed to be committed to memory. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

EricQuebec

Hey John,
I will follow your effort on this one.
I think this kit was designed about the CNR Fort Rouge (Manitoba) 300 ton coal dock.
You will find  a nice article about it and  full size draw in the February 1981 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.
Eric

ReadingBob

I'll be following along as well!  This one's in my stash but, admittedly, no where near the top of list when it comes to what I plan on building in the near future.  ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

bandman

Looking forward to this one, John.  I bought this one in 1978 at the market price and it's still in the box.  Guess you can see how fast a modeler I am. :-\.  I know I'll get some inspiration from your build.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

NEMMRRC

That is one impressive coal tower. It's going to be a really good build.

Jaime

ACL1504

John,

I'll be along for the ride on this one also.

I paid the full boat of $36.95 for mine.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on January 01, 2020, 02:02:07 PM
Hey John,
I will follow your effort on this one.
I think this kit was designed about the CNR Fort Rouge (Manitoba) 300 ton coal dock.
You will find  a nice article about it and  full size draw in the February 1981 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.
Eric

Eric

George told me about the article but I don't have access to that issue of RMC. Can anyone help me with a copy of the article from the February 1981 issue of RMC?

Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 01, 2020, 02:38:54 PM
I'll be following along as well!  This one's in my stash but, admittedly, no where near the top of list when it comes to what I plan on building in the near future.  ::)

Thank you for following along Bob. I plan on adding this coal tower to the Eagles Next Yard on my layout, near the Stone Roundhouse.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: bandman on January 01, 2020, 03:20:16 PM
Looking forward to this one, John.  I bought this one in 1978 at the market price and it's still in the box.  Guess you can see how fast a modeler I am. :-\ .  I know I'll get some inspiration from your build.

I wish I would have bought these early kits directly from George - I didn't start buying from him directly until the 1990's. So I spent a lot of extra money purchasing them from collectors, shows, eBay etc.  Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on January 01, 2020, 03:26:11 PM
Looks interesting and I'll be following.

Curt

Glad to have you along for the ride. We will see where this one takes us.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 01, 2020, 04:35:57 PM
That is one impressive coal tower. It's going to be a really good build.

Jaime

Jaime

I have been looking forward to this build for some time. I have always liked this coaling tower. Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 01, 2020, 06:45:38 PM
John,

I'll be along for the ride on this one also.

I paid the full boat of $36.95 for mine.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thanks for riding along - I don't remember or care to remember what I paid for this one. For years, I would put in a bid on all the FSM kits about 25% below the going rate on eBay. I probably bought 20 or 30 of them that way. It really paid not to be in a hurry.  The rest I bought at shows or directly from George for the past 25 years or so.

John Siekirk