2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

So today, I unpacked the box and took some pictures of the contents. I also, took pictures of the directions so I have a copy on my iPad for study.  I like this because it's portable and allows me to look at them when I'm traveling. I can also mark them up with my electronic pencil when I want to make changes. It really helps me when I can blow the pictures up to look at the details.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

EricQuebec

Quote from: S&S RR on January 01, 2020, 07:29:32 PM
Quote from: EricQuebec on January 01, 2020, 02:02:07 PM
Hey John,
I will follow your effort on this one.
I think this kit was designed about the CNR Fort Rouge (Manitoba) 300 ton coal dock.
You will find  a nice article about it and  full size draw in the February 1981 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.
Eric

Eric

George told me about the article but I don't have access to that issue of RMC. Can anyone help me with a copy of the article from the February 1981 issue of RMC?

Thank you for following along.

HI John,
I've send you a private message on this forum about this article.
Eric.

Mark Dalrymple

I'll be following along with interest, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

I'll be following along, too, John.  Looks like a magnificent kit and I'm interested to see how you modify it.
--Opa George

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on January 01, 2020, 09:50:58 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on January 01, 2020, 07:29:32 PM
Quote from: EricQuebec on January 01, 2020, 02:02:07 PM
Hey John,
I will follow your effort on this one.
I think this kit was designed about the CNR Fort Rouge (Manitoba) 300 ton coal dock.
You will find  a nice article about it and  full size draw in the February 1981 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.
Eric

Eric

George told me about the article but I don't have access to that issue of RMC. Can anyone help me with a copy of the article from the February 1981 issue of RMC?

Thank you for following along.

HI John,
I've send you a private message on this forum about this article.
Eric.

Eric

Thank you,
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 01, 2020, 11:26:12 PM
I'll be following along with interest, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for following along.  Now to get started.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Opa George on January 02, 2020, 06:14:12 AM
I'll be following along, too, John.  Looks like a magnificent kit and I'm interested to see how you modify it.
--Opa George

George

Thank you for following along.  I have some research to do before I can decide on modifications.  I will be posting my thoughts as I learn more.
John Siekirk

NEMMRRC

Will you be using that roll of shingles for your build?

Jaime

S&S RR

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 04, 2020, 04:10:06 PM

Jaime

Jaime

Good question. I haven't been using the Campbell style shingles on most of my builds.  The last one I can remember where I used them was on Mackenzies - I liked how the worked out there. I probable will use laser cut shingles on this build because it will be modeled as a structure in good repair. I do have a box full of the Campbell shingle rolls if you need some. ;)
John Siekirk

NEMMRRC

Quote from: S&S RR on January 04, 2020, 05:47:50 PM
Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 04, 2020, 04:10:06 PM

Jaime

Jaime

Good question. I haven't been using the Campbell style shingles on most of my builds.  The last one I can remember where I used them was on Mackenzies - I liked how the worked out there. I probable will use laser cut shingles on this build because it will be modeled as a structure in good repair. I do have a box full of the Campbell shingle rolls if you need some. ;)
I have 3 rolls of the real Campbell shingles. I bought them for nearly nothing at a train show here in town a long time ago.

I'm all set  ;D

Jaime

deemery

Did George provide any history on this structure, since he talks about what the prototype looks like?  When was it built?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

NEMMRRC

Quote from: deemery on January 05, 2020, 12:23:20 PM
Did George provide any history on this structure, since he talks about what the prototype looks like?  When was it built?

dave
From the first paragraph in the instructions it looks like it is a CN prototype. Maybe John can add more. I just blew up the photo of the instructions...

Jaime

EricQuebec

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 05, 2020, 04:05:59 PM
Quote from: deemery on January 05, 2020, 12:23:20 PM

dave
From the first paragraph in the instructions it looks like it is a CN prototype. Maybe John can add more. I just blew up the photo of the instructions...

Jaime

Yes it's a prototype from the CN Fort Rouge (Manitoba) 300 ton coal tower.

Eric.