2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I couple progress shots. The walls are straight - the iPhone likes to bow thinks. ;)  I looked at these pictures and had to go put a straight edge and square on them to make sure.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I will be using the roof card to cut the studs to the right length and angle. At this point I'm adding nut and bolt castings before moving on. I like to actually drill the holes and insert them with tweezers.
John Siekirk

deemery

I looked at that and thought, "Hmmm, not much bracing inside those walls." Then I realized there's a lot of bracing -outside- the walls :-)  You might want to add some 1/8" sticks on up high, where there isn't exterior bracing, just to be sure.

Looks great!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey John:

That's looking real nice can't wait to see more progress.

Karl

Opa George

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on February 15, 2020, 08:47:28 AM
I looked at that and thought, "Hmmm, not much bracing inside those walls." Then I realized there's a lot of bracing -outside- the walls :-)  You might want to add some 1/8" sticks on up high, where there isn't exterior bracing, just to be sure.

Looks great!

dave

Dave

Thank you for following along and the comments. This morning I had to add one brace to pull out a curl in the lower support structure that developed overnight as the glue dried. It is just temporary until I glue it to the base.

I always brace everything up on the inside where it doesn't show. This model is going to get some extra bracing just before the roof cards go on.  I'm also going to glue it to a base as soon as I have all the details added underneath.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on February 15, 2020, 10:37:47 AM
Hey John:

That's looking real nice can't wait to see more progress.

Karl

Karl

Thank you, it's not progressing at Karl speed is it. ;) ;D ;D  I'm only spending an hour or two, a day,  on this model
because I'm doing some track work changes on the layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Opa George on February 15, 2020, 11:39:01 AM
So intricate--I love it.
--Opa George

George

Thank you, it is a great model.  How did we let George retire? Just kidding George, you earned your retirement. I'm thankful that I bought all those yellow boxes when I had the chance.
John Siekirk

deemery

You can't be too rich, have too many clamps, or add too much bracing :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on February 15, 2020, 01:37:52 PM
You can't be too rich, have too many clamps, or add too much bracing :-)

dave

Dave

Amen - you are going to like what I did inside coal tower. I'll take a picture when all the clamps come off. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a few pictures of the bracing I added to the interior of the coal tower. Yes - the 1/4 inch square is overkill but I have a bunch of it that I'm using for interior bracing. It's not going to get used for anything else in HO scale. It came with a batch of wood I bought in bulk.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler