2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

John,

Coloring is wonderful for both the walls and shingles on the sand shed.  I looked through the thread to see what kind of shingles you are using for this build and I didn't see where you posted that information.  Did I just miss it?  Anyway, they look so realistic, please enlighten me as to who makes them.  Thanks,
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on March 09, 2020, 09:30:09 PM

John,

Coloring is wonderful for both the walls and shingles on the sand shed.  I looked through the thread to see what kind of shingles you are using for this build and I didn't see where you posted that information.  Did I just miss it?  Anyway, they look so realistic, please enlighten me as to who makes them.  Thanks,

Jerry

Thank you for following along and the kind words. I can't remember a discussion of the shingles on this thread but I have talked about them in the past.  The shingles are from Wild West Models.  Their color and model number 514.
Here is a website if you want to take a look.  I have used these shingles on a number of projects - I really like the way they look. You can weather them with chalks to get any color combination that you want. The shingles on this project are right from the sheet at this point. 

https://www.wildwestmodels.com
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jerryrbeach

Thanks, John. 

The shingles really look nice.  I need to figure out color and quantity and place an order.
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey John:

Looking just beautiful. Love how the coloring is coming out. Keep the pic coming.

karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on March 10, 2020, 05:32:38 PM
Hey John:

Looking just beautiful. Love how the coloring is coming out. Keep the pic coming.

karl

Karl

Thank you for the encouraging words - as I said before I'm really having fun with this one.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The baseboard for the coal tower has been pulled from my layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Tomorrow morning, I will be laying out the additional structures that will share this piece of real-estate
with the coaling tower.  For now, it waits on my workbench while I do some more detail work on the coal tower.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are today's progress shots of the coal tower. Railings have been added. A wood storage rack has been added underneath. Started adding the ladders. Tomorrow, I plan on adding the chute and weights and mounting the structures to the base board.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on March 13, 2020, 08:53:17 AM
Hey John:

Beautifully done.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the kind words - I made some more progress today. I'm working on how the build will fit on the baseboard. I'll take some more pictures once I have it mounted. Then it will be final detailing time.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I started work on the base board for the coaling tower.  I'm adding basswood gluing strips attached to the plywood to make sure the issue I had with the walls moving on me during the gluing process doesn't happen again. The structure will be glued to the wood gluing strips and the foam board before the scenery details are added. I removed the strip wood supports overnight when I moved the coal tower to this workbench and the front wall started to warp inward again a slight amount but I don't want to take any chances of it moving once it is on the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

There will be a number structure that will share this same plywood baseboard, including a water tank, and an icing platform.
John Siekirk