A canopy glue question

Started by Random, March 24, 2020, 06:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random

I have used Pacer Formula '560' canopy glue in the red and white bottle for some time and been very happy with it.   A while back I went to a local R/C shop to get more glue and was sold a green labeled bottle of Zap brand canopy glue with the assurance that it was the "same thing".  My experience though was that the Zap labeled product had less tac and a different working feel than the red labeled Pacer product.

Today I received an order for Pacer canopy glue and was sent Zap.  I was not happy.

When I go to the website listed on the packaging (zapadhesives.com) the only item listed for canopy glue is the red labeled Pacer product.  The green label product isn't even on the site.

Does anyone know what is going on with this product and why I might be seeing a difference in them?  I've seen the difference in several bottles of the green Zap product so I don't think it was just a bad bottle.

Thanks

Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

S&S RR

Roger

I have a couple bottles left of the Pacer 560 in the red and white bottle - I think I bought it from either Jimmy D. or Doug Foscale at one of the shows.  I would try them and see if they can tell you what is going on with the product.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dave K.

Anyone know if Doug has made it back into the U.S?

Dennis Bourey

Roger, Sorry for late response. I just got a order in of the glue. I believe its what your looking for? here's a link. omni models has it. , Been around for years. Dennis

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zap-Adhesives-Formula-560-Canopy-Glue-2-oz-PT56/331156104146?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Random

Dennis, did you actually receive red label Pacer?   The listing I ordered my last batch from showed red label but shipped green label zap.

Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

deemery

This discussion of 'red label' vs 'green label' Canopy Glue reminds me of a war story... (well, a story from when I was in the Army.)

I was in the 101st which has A LOT of helicopters, and they were doing intensive flight training with night vision goggles.  The flight time on a Huey was about 2 hrs, 20 minutes.  The way the night vision goggles worked, when the batteries dropped below a certain charge, the goggles would go black (you've probably seen that in electronics.)  Well, with the alkaline batteries, the goggles would last about 2 hours, and then go black.  Needless to say, pilots were NOT happy about that.  So we'd order the much more expensive lithium batteries with a "do not substitute" code on the requisition.  But they kept on sending us alkaline batteries.  Finally the Division Commander called the Warehouse commander and they had a '1-sided conversation."  Apparently the Div Cdr threatened the Warehouse Cdr with Court-Martial if we lost a UH-1 because of the wrong batteries.  So we finally started getting the batteries we ordered.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Roger, Yes I did I just ordered 3 more just in case. And they should be here Thursday or Friday? I'll post what I get.Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

Roger update from omni hobby. Per there E-Mail
(New message from: omnimodels (590,949)
Our apologies as it looks like the manufacturer changed the product and we were not aware to update our picture. The formula is the same as the red bottle.)

Sincerely,
Robyn
Omni Models
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Blazeman

Does the stuff go "bad" after a while.  Tried to use it the other day and couldn't get it to "spread" in the window opening (for a N structure, so it's a small opening).  Or does it need to be at a specific temperature?  My train room is on the cool side, my decision.

ReadingBob

Quote from: Blazeman on April 01, 2020, 02:37:11 PM
Does the stuff go "bad" after a while.  Tried to use it the other day and couldn't get it to "spread" in the window opening (for a N structure, so it's a small opening).  Or does it need to be at a specific temperature?  My train room is on the cool side, my decision.

The answer appears to be yes.  I did a search for specifications for Pacer Technology Hobby Formula 560 Canopy Glue (PT56) and found this in the specs

STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Recap for storage. Protect from freezing. A one-year shelf life can be expected.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Random

I wonder if the 1 year life is from the time you cut open the bottle.  I know I've opened bottles more than a year old and had no problems.   I do give the bottle a good shake if its been siting a while as it seems to settle and leave a very thin layer on top.   

I still feel like they changed something in the formulation when they changed the labels.  It just seems different. 

<shrug>

Roger Hines

Dennis Bourey

This is the only info i can find. When you type in there website it goes to superglue website. there in the same complex. Dennis
Pacer Technology
No reviews
11215 Jersey Blvd
(800) 538-3091
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Blazeman

I tried using a brush with better results, but in some instances it "fell" out of the window frame consistently.

Did not give it a shake, and perhaps I should warm the container. 

ReadingBob

I imagine the "one-year shelf life can be expected" statement is a conservative estimate.  I've had a bottle of this go bad as well as bottles of Pink Flamingo Glue (also intolerant to cold temperatures) go bad.  But they lasted longer than a year.  For glazing I switched from Canopy Glue to MicroScale Industries Kristal Klear a while back and found I liked that a whole lot better.  I experience far fewer bubbles and don't have to fuss with it quite as much as I did with Canopy Glue.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Dennis Bourey

Roger, I got my order in today and all 3 bottles have the green label on it. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)