The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Erieman on February 11, 2020, 09:54:54 PM
Tom,

Everything is looking great. Can't wait until you cross the river! Want to see how all those structures work out. Keep up the great work my friend.

Frank / Erieman

Frank,

Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment. I can't wait to cross the river either. I have lots of ideas cooking the my noggin.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Janbouli on February 12, 2020, 03:22:30 AM
Your scenery is getting better and better Tom , I just love it.

Jan,

I very much appreciate the kind words. This is the area of layout building I like most, scenery. I have learned much over the past decade from many modelers who are far more talented.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: BandOGuy on February 12, 2020, 12:14:21 PM
Palms together for your efforts.

Chip,

Thank you for the support and palms together.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I mentioned in an earlier post that there was something bothering me about this recent area south of the Big Tahope River.  It took an outsider viewing the photos to point out what was bothering me. Obvious to him but not to me.

First let me say that I will always take criticism be it positive or negative. This is the case here.

I got an email from my close friend Thom Driggers pointing out what was not obvious to me. I'll just give ya'll the compendium of what his email stated.

The roadway and stripping didn't look natural and that all roads, be it county or rural didn't necessarily have edge stripping. I read his email with interest and viewed the photos he attached to the email.

I went back to the layout and used a critical eye to view the area in question. Thom nailed it, that area of the road then looked "toy like" to me. I immediately removed the white stripping and this gave the scene and area a totally new and more natural look.

Here is a before look at the road and stripping.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

You can see in the next set of photos where the edge stripping was removed.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This next photo shows the center line stripe up to the rail.

I removed this stripe from the vehicle stopping point as well.

I'll touch up the paint where the tape was removed.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Now this area looks more realistic, without all the white edge stripping. Here is a great case of less is more. I like this look much better.

Thank you KPI, much appreciate the feedback and suggestion.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

That looks much better, Tom.

I just figured it was another US thing, although I couldn't remember seeing it when driving on your roads.  I do remember driving on a lot of concrete roads with an amazing amount of expansion cracks painted with black pitch.  This was in the Colorado plateau area - especially the Navajo Nation.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Looks just great. I always enjoy seeing pictures of the work you do on your RR. Keep up the goods work.

karl

Jerry

Tom great job.  I like this version of the striping better to.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jerryrbeach

Tom,

FWIW, some research I did revealed that edge striping on roadways was in its infancy in the early 50's, with use primarily on highways or parkways.  Not sure exactly the era you are modeling.  Anyway, just a long way of saying I prefer the road as it is now with the simple center stripe.
Jerry

jbvb

In present-day NH, state highways get edge striping, or striping to separate the travel lane from the shoulder if there is one.  Smaller towns' roads usually don't even have a center line. In 1960s MA, the city didn't use edge striping on any of the streets, and I'm fairly sure there wasn't any on US 1, which didn't have much of a shoulder.  I-95 did have a stripe between the slow lane and the breakdown lane.
James

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision