First Craftsman Kit Build - J. Keen Supplies

Started by WigWag Workshop, May 31, 2020, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WigWag Workshop

Started to cut out the pieces, and lightly sand the sides.  I am using the "scrap" pieces to experiment a bit, seeing how the wall pieces come together with bracing, also going to test my wash, and try lifting some of the board siding before moving on to the actual kit.

A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Jim Donovan

Steven Welcome!

Not to long ago I was the 'new' guy wondering if I should say something or just watch and see how others made their models. Obviously I did say something and am glad I did. This is a great forum (I know I've looked at them all) because it has a great group of folks keeping it going. If you found this forum because it says to check it out on the box of J. Keen Supplies, then double welcome. That is the kit, and the way I found this group. I did build J. Keen, but not for about a year after I started modeling and found this forum. It is a fun kit and I look forward to seeing your progress. Like the others have said, any questions ask, lots of smart people in the group (they let me stay out of pity I think).

Again Welcome!

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Wig Wag:

Glad to see you are getting started.

Karl

WigWag Workshop

Quote from: Jim Donovan on June 03, 2020, 09:18:09 PM
Steven Welcome!

Not to long ago I was the 'new' guy wondering if I should say something or just watch and see how others made their models. Obviously I did say something and am glad I did. This is a great forum (I know I've looked at them all) because it has a great group of folks keeping it going. If you found this forum because it says to check it out on the box of J. Keen Supplies, then double welcome. That is the kit, and the way I found this group. I did build J. Keen, but not for about a year after I started modeling and found this forum. It is a fun kit and I look forward to seeing your progress. Like the others have said, any questions ask, lots of smart people in the group (they let me stay out of pity I think).

Again Welcome!

Jim D

Thank You for the guidance, it's always appreciated.  I actually joined this great forum back in 2013, but kinda forgot about it for awhile, has I was focused on woodworking stuff.  Great group of folks here, ton's of inspiration, and ideas shared.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Opa George

HI Steven,

I'm a little late to the party, but excited to be here and watching over your shoulder.  Good luck and enjoy the build.

--Opa George

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks,

Completed the bracing pieces, and did a "test fit".  I surprised myself that all the corners match up nicely (just had to do a tad bit of sanding).  One thing I did notice is that some of the bracing isn't exactly square, glad I noticed it and was able to adjust.  Next up, A&I wash, and paint.

Question: Has anyone used an airbrush for painting the kit?  How does it compare to brushing?  I am using Badger Model Flex Antique White.  I also have Folk Art Vintage White.

-Steven

BandOGuy

Steven,
A belated welcome.
When you've got some time, check the YouTube series from Jason Jenson, particularly the early ones. A lot of good kit building advice from an art trained constructer. One trick he taught early on was before you cut your bracing, flex it on each side. When you find the side that bends the least, mark it with a pencil and make sure that side is always facing you when you glue down your cut piece. It's hard to describe the process without seeing it, but the point is all bracing will flex: the degree of flex varies from surface to surface according to the grain in the wood which we probably can never see.
Build on.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

WigWag Workshop

Quote from: BandOGuy on June 05, 2020, 03:00:51 PM
Steven,
A belated welcome.
When you've got some time, check the YouTube series from Jason Jenson, particularly the early ones. A lot of good kit building advice from an art trained constructer. One trick he taught early on was before you cut your bracing, flex it on each side. When you find the side that bends the least, mark it with a pencil and make sure that side is always facing you when you glue down your cut piece. It's hard to describe the process without seeing it, but the point is all bracing will flex: the degree of flex varies from surface to surface according to the grain in the wood which we probably can never see.
Build on.

I binged watched a bunch of his videos, I seen that one, that's how I noticed the bracing wasn't square. He is an awesome modeler, and his videos are top notch, I learned so much from him.  Hope all is well with you and yours

-Steven

tom.boyd.125

Steven,
Welcome to the Forum ... take your time and you will have a great kit to admire ...
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

WigWag Workshop

Her Der Folks!

Added the A&I wash to the main structure.  Next up, I will be adding the main color, and also paint the trim, windows, and doors.  Not sure if my wash is too dark (it looks darker in the picture than in person). I plan on doing Antique White on the main structure, with POLLY Scale C&NW Green for the trim, windows, and door trim.

-Steven

administrator

jerryrbeach

Steven,

Since the purpose of the wash is to ensure no bare wood peeks through the paint it doesn't really matter how dark it is.  IMO the real question is , "How white do I want the siding to be?"  The darker wash allows you to use a thin coat of paint to get a worn paint look quite easily.  I'll be watching to see where you go from here.
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Steven:

I use three different washes. I use 16Oz of Alcohol from Wallgreens. 1 Tsp, 2 Tsp and 3 Tsp of black India Ink. I mostly use the 3 tsp mix which is about as dark as what you used. I then Either paint the walls with full strength paint or dry-brush them.

Karl

PainTrain

I'm new to the kit building world myself, and I can certainly say that you're doing a great job so far.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL