Weathered Old Buildings

Started by tjseeley, December 22, 2013, 03:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

I just noticed the camera on the wall , huge contrast to the weathered boards.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Here is a series of photographs of and old farm house over a 9 year period. The weathering process.

The view in the window.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

gnatshop

John, I love the pictures you've been posting!  8) 8) 8)

But they also helped me learn something - if I'm NOT signed in, they over-fill the screen
and I have to go to the bottom to cursor over to see everything - however, once I sign in,
the whole picture shows up perfectly!

Guess that's a 'riff-raff security protection' feature!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Note to the administrators - This is not a public safety issue- (no need to have gummint hearings)-
just a minor issue to help get new members!! 

GPdemayo

Great pictures John.

If I had to guess, I'd say they might have been taken around the Ledbetters' place in AR... ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Quote from: gnatshop on April 12, 2014, 09:47:05 PM
John, I love the pictures you've been posting!  8) 8) 8)

But they also helped me learn something - if I'm NOT signed in, they over-fill the screen
and I have to go to the bottom to cursor over to see everything - however, once I sign in,
the whole picture shows up perfectly!

Guess that's a 'riff-raff security protection' feature!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Note to the administrators - This is not a public safety issue- (no need to have gummint hearings)-
just a minor issue to help get new members!!

David

I'm glad you are enjoying the pictures - I still haven't completely figured out the picture thing yet. The size of the file has something to do with the size presented on the screen. It also depends on the device your using.  The quality of the figures on this forum is so much better than any other forum I have used that I haven't been concerned with the scroll bar once in awhile.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: GPdemayo on April 13, 2014, 10:28:14 AM
Great pictures John.

If I had to guess, I'd say they might have been taken around the Ledbetters' place in AR... ;D

Greg

This old farm house is in northern Michigan.  I knew the man that lived there when I was young (around 10 years old). He was 100 years old, died at 102, and the upstairs of the house was full of books.  I remember him telling me it took 100 years to read all his books. The weight of the books is probably why the house collapsed the way it did. The books were all destroyed by the time I started taking pictures.
John Siekirk

dougkast

Found this on the Library of Congress site.
EXTERIOR, GENERAL VIEW, BLAIR ST. BETWEEN 10TH & 11TH STS. - Silverton Historic District, Blacksmith Shop, Blair Street, Silverton, San Juan County, CO

GPdemayo

Quote from: S&S RR on April 13, 2014, 06:41:43 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on April 13, 2014, 10:28:14 AM
Great pictures John.

Greg

This old farm house is in northern Michigan.  I knew the man that lived there when I was young (around 10 years old). He was 100 years old, died at 102, and the upstairs of the house was full of books.  I remember him telling me it took 100 years to read all his books. The weight of the books is probably why the house collapsed the way it did. The books were all destroyed by the time I started taking pictures.

John.....thanks for the "rest of the story". Keep up the great work.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

halrey

A lot of great reference shots here, this one is from PEI Canada.
Hal

Hal Reynolds
Atlantic Scale Modelers
PO Box 223
Peabody, MA 01960

halrey

This one in from Northern Maine.
Hal

Hal Reynolds
Atlantic Scale Modelers
PO Box 223
Peabody, MA 01960

Oldguy

Came across this building in SW Missouri.  What caught my eye was not nail holes but the paint that did not weather over the nails.  This side faced south.  There was an old painted Coke sign just right of the door if anyone is interested.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

bparrish

Wow....

There is weathered and then there is weathered ! ! ! !

But falling down is something else again..... something beyond weathered.

What might we call it ? ? ?

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

gnatshop

Quote from: bparrish on October 15, 2014, 09:27:49 PM
Wow....
There is weathered and then there is weathered ! ! ! !
But falling down is something else again..... something beyond weathered.
What might we call it ? ? ?    see ya  Bob
How about 'Old and Wore Out!' ?
That might fit a few folks on here, too!  I know it would me!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

tjseeley

Yup, there's weathered...old and worn out....and then there's almost gone.  This is a stone schoolhouse that served Asbury, NJ for many a year.  I'd love to model it!

dougkast

Coal silos trackside on B&M's west side Williamstown, MA., there are two of these side by side albeit was used for Williams College. I'm reading that this structure still exits on a Facebook site named Boston & Maine, Depots and Structures.