Detail parts and Craftsman Kis

Started by Shakey Jake, September 16, 2018, 03:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey Jake

I am considering a trip for the firs time to the EXPO.  I've been doing some kit design and laser cutting in my spare time.  I'd like to learn more about the manufacturing of craftsman structure kits.  While I have done a fair amount of drawing and cutting, the one thing that seems to be a mystery to me is the pattern making and the manufacturing of detail castings in white metal and 3D printing.  I would llove to learn more about the pattern making, or sub contracting the pattern making and casting process to someone who knows what they are doing.  Also it appears that 3D printing is the next new way to create parts for kits.  I am looking to make connections with people who are doing this to get some ideas, connections, etc.  I'm not looking for anyone to give away any trade secrets, but a point in the right direction would sure help in the journey to making Model Railroad kits

Thanks,

Jake Johnson

JimMooney

3D printing parts seems the way to go. You just need a program to be able to draw the parts. then send to a company like shapeways for printing.  I usally cluster a bunch of parts together and the price is pretty reasonable. Might be $1 each for HO parts...

postalkarl

gleiphart

I know last year there were sessions on 3D printing and one on Laser cutting. Unfortunately they were opposite sessions I had prioritize3d to attend. I do not see those this year but there sure will be enough generous people who you can share and connect with.