2020 Challenge Carolina Craftsman Kit #CCK1359 - AD Low & Company

Started by GPdemayo, January 26, 2020, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Thanks Curt.....hope your house repairs are coming along well, so you can get back to your empire.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks Bob.....not up to speed yet, but it's slowly getting there.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Greg,

Not to worry, you are much further along than me. I'll not meet the finish deadline. But I'll finish my challenge non the less.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 27, 2020, 09:16:40 AM
Greg,

Not to worry, you are much further along than me. I'll not meet the finish deadline. But I'll finish my challenge non the less.

Tom ;D

Maybe for not Tom, but in a week or two?.....you've be doing layout work, structures and locos at Greg Speed.....not me.....if only I could build a kit using a throttle.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 27, 2020, 10:23:39 AM
Greg and Tom at least you are doing as kit...sigh.

Quit the pity party Curt.....you've got a whole new layout to design & build..... ::)  Thanks for looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on February 27, 2020, 02:23:57 PM
Greg,

Tom ;D

Maybe for not Tom, but in a week or two?.....you've be doing layout work, structures and locos at Greg Speed.....not me.....if only I could build a kit using a throttle.  ;D

Greg Speed, stay tuned to my brass painting thread. 8)

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 27, 2020, 03:19:03 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on February 27, 2020, 02:23:57 PM
Greg,

Tom ;D

Greg Speed, stay tuned to my brass painting thread. 8)

Tom  ;D

smart a#!  :) :) :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Quote from: PRR Modeler on February 27, 2020, 06:30:34 PM
OK Greg I will quit whining  :) .

Okay, a little whining is permissible.....especially if you start posting the plans for the new empire.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

It's coming along nicely. Keep the [pics flowing.

Karl

GPdemayo

Thanks Karl.....I'll post a bit of progress soon (with pictures).  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Not much got done last week, but I am making a bit of progress.

All the trim pieces were furnished with the kit, but not all. In looking at all the wood sided building kits in my stash and here on the forum, I have noticed that the use of trim pieces along the top of the siding, where it meets the soffit, has generally been overlooked by all the manufacturers I have seen. This might be a good kit to try adding that trim to.

In the 1:1 world, when using lap siding, I would normally use 2x4 material at all outside wall corners and crown pieces on the wall at the soffit and 2x2 material at the inside wall corners.

The same 2x jambs, headers and sills would be used around all window and door openings. The carpenters would install all the trim first and then the siding would be run to it.

I got some 2x4 material from the supply, cut it to fit, painted it with white ScaleCoat and glued it to the walls. Below are some pictures with the trim attached. First the side,

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-044)

then the front trim.

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-045)

The trim pieces look fine, but I'm trying to decide if this was worth the effort in this small scale.

The other task I managed to complete was the little roof structure. I cut the corners pieces to fit, glued it all together and gave it a quick painting. I am not sure what function it serves (like ventilation, hoisting, etc.) and am not sure if I will add it to the roof or not.

Exhibit #3 - (ADL-043)

Rear building addition coming soon.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Greg,

Looking good there my friend. You are correct about the kits lacking the gabled siding. I've added that trim to my last 12 or so builds.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com