Odd Manufacturing

Started by Random, April 05, 2019, 04:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random

This will be a structure kitbash for the Two Cities layout.  That thread is getting rather large so I've decided to break individual structures out and update that thread when they are installed.

There is an odd, essentially triangular shaped, area to the right of the station that needs a multi-story brick structure to house a manufacturing business. 

This photo is from the back of the scene.

In order to work on the design at the work bench I made a simple template of the space.

I went though my supply of brick structure kits and after some pondering settled on these two.  The kit on the left is now sold by Woodland Scenics and the kit on the right is from Lunde Studios.

If you're not familiar with Lunde Studios, these structures are designed by Bob Lunde who brought us DPM (now woodland scenics) and Magnuson structures.

As luck would have it, the brick sizes on these two kits are essential identical and the windows are very similar.  This statement may strike you as odd from the photos above but for this structure I will not be using the fronts of the buildings, but only the back and sides.

Using the back and one side from the Lunde Studios kit, two sets from the DPM kit, and a bit of painters tape I worked up a pleasing general layout for the building.  The DMP walls will need to be spliced to make them taller.

I did a little more playing and decided to add another angle to the track side wall of the building. 

I'll need a couple more of the DMP kits to move forward but its off to a good start.

Cheers!

Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

I wanted to make sure this structure was going to fit into the scene well so I fired up the copier and made copies of the wall castings.  A bit of cutting and tape later and I had a paper mockup ready to fold.

Here are a few shot of the mockup in the future home of the finished structure.

There is no "front" to this structure but it is intended as a manufacturing facility and there are multiple doors on different sides allowing freight and personal access. 

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

My delivery arrived so its time to lay out the cut lines. 

Yawn (its just a kit bash)

:)

Cheers
Roger Hines

Mark Dalrymple

Yawn?  - I find kit-bashes very interesting.

I'm just not yet convinced by the shape of your latest one.  I don't yet see any reason for the odd shape and I would imagine it would cost considerably more to build.  I would think that reason would need to be obvious or otherwise it might look jarring?

Enjoying your work.

Cheers, Mark.

Random

Mark - A kitbash seems less involved than the wonderful scratch builds posted here but it can have its own challenges.  You're limited by someone else's design choices.

But, you do get to hack them up and make them your own.   Speaking of which, here are all the main wall sections marked for cutting.

And here we are with the cookies cut, as it were.

This building is my first step away from trying to copy George's structure, but I still wanted a large brick building.   

The building serves as a transition between the large structures to the left and what will be smaller structures to the right.  As a view block I wanted it to be interesting from different angles.

There will be an extension of 8 to 12 inches in depth behind the overall scene with angled roads to prevent looking straight back to a flat backdrop.

As a result, the building's footprint is the bound by 3 streets and the curving railroad right of way.  I also did not want to make vertical cuts in the walls.

I am still considering some minor alterations and possibly an augment attached to one wall.  The lowest floor of the wall facing the tracks will also likely end up below grade.

Time will tell.

Cheers.

Roger Hines

Random

A bunch of sanding, liberal use of liquid plastic cement, many weights, a few clamps, some waxed paper, and several days of letting things dry and I have finished assembling the walls.

I want the window frames to be dark green so I decided to prime the the walls with green spray paint/primer (just a rattle can).  I'll go back and paint the bring with acrylics. 

Scotty from Star Trek would be proud (its...its...green....).

:)

Cheers.

Roger Hines

jbvb

Good to know the bricks match.  I've been turning M.T. Arms (stryene) into a couple of background flats, but that Lunde building is too tall for my attic layout.
James

Zephyrus52246

;D ;D ;D

Random

Priming in green worked out nicely.   Here are the walls painted with acrylics.

The dark undercoat gives more variation to the bricks. 

And here they are with a wash of thinned watercolor to simulate mortar.

Here is a closeup so you can better see the details. 

I really enjoyed not having to paint all of the windows individually.  I think going forward I'll be priming in the window trim color.  Its much easier to add the brick color to the wall flats afterwards.

Cheers!

Roger Hines

deemery

That's outstanding brick coloring!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

rpdylan

great work Roger! What colors/ brand of paint did you use for the bricks? they look fantastic
Bob C.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Roger:

Looks great so far. Will be following along.

Karl

Random

I painted the stone window sills today.

Bob, the green primer coat is rattle can Krylon "Satin Hunter Green".  The brick and sills are artist acrylics and the mortar is Chinese White tube watercolor mixed very thin with a few drops of dish soap added to break surface tension. 

The brick on this building is primarily mixed from Cadmium Red Deep Hue and Burnt Umber.  Its basically in the middle of the pallet below.  I don't worry about picking up a little of another color as I can blend anything too strong into the wall.

I apply all of the brink color with an inexpensive half inch round artist brush that lives in a bucket of water.   The only cleaning it gets is to be bounced on the bottom of the bucket and wiped on a stack of paper towels. 

I do change out the water from time to time but I am not concerned with exact colors.

The window sills were mixed from Naples Yellow Deep, Titanium White and a bit of Burnt Umber.  There was probably a little Payne's Grey in there too.

Cheers!

Roger Hines

Bruce Oberleitner

Very cool looking project.  I like how you broke up the back wall and curved it around to fit your space.  Great Job.

;D ;D ;D