FSM Chippy Hollow Hardware

Started by SteveCuster, December 07, 2019, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnb

Really impressive modelling Steve. I was really impressed with the small end shed casting for a roof. Your experiment with the tissue roofing came out great. So much nice modelling , well done.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

The platform looks just gorgeous.

Karl

SteveCuster

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

As far as the rafter tails go when I make them uneven it always looks wrong to me even on a heavily weather building. One of those things that might be prototypical but feels wrong to my eye so I try to make them as straight as possible.

I make some headway over the last week. I decided to rename the building as a tribute to Brian Nolan. His build of this kit is one of the main reasons I bought it and I've been referring to it throughout the build. I never met Brian but I'm a huge fan of his modeling and I rewatch his video on building techniques frequently.

This is the sign I made to rename the building. I stuck with the original style of the sign.

I scratchbuilt this little office for the scene. It's a pretty simple design. I used windows and doors from my scrap bin but I don't know where they came from. The front door might be from the original FSM Pile Driver. I made the foundation out of wood and the texture is from Liquitex Ceramic Stucco from Michaels. Karl Schulz told me about this product and it works really well.

Another angle of the same building. The roof is done with black tissue paper same as the other roof.

I glued down the office and prepped for the first layer of dirt and grass.

It's starting to come together now that I add the dirt base. I do a simple first layer and add more weeds and details after everything dries. I had some  issues with the decking warping especially the vertical siding around the base but everything started to settle down once it dried.

The ground cover is still a little wet here.

I thought the area around the office needed something other than a few castings so I made this wood rack. I wanted the wood to look fairly new but still toned down a bit so I used some Hunterline Driftwood to tone it down a little.

I glued the wood rack in place.

I added a couple little details around the office. I also threw some trash on the roof to break it up a bit. This is just a start of course. This kit comes with tons of castings.

Thanks for checking in. I'll be finishing up the details and finishing up the model over the next couple days. Stay tuned.
Steve Custer

sdrees

Steve Drees
SP RR

Raymo

Awesome workmanship as usual Steve!

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

the lumber rack and the small building look just beautiful. Can't wait to see this guy finished. Also great to to see the Brian Nolan sign.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Very nice finishing details. Your workmanship really holds up and shines in the close-up photos.
--Opa George

Lynnb

Your finished photos look fantastic, the tar paper roof is spot on.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Rail and Tie

Simply, an awesome build and  tribute to an awesome builder by an awesome builder of an awesome kit.

I am definitely stealing the black tissue paper roofing idea.  Would love to see a tutorial on that some time...
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking wonderful, Steve.

I think even rafters would be very prototypical.  They would all be cut at the same time so one would expect them to all be the same.

Cheers, Mark.

engine909

Steve, Great modeling as always. I have also admired Brian Nolan"s modeling. I have a question for you and others. Who started the practice of throwing tires on the roof? personally, I don't get it.

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone. I ended up finishing up the kit this last weekend.

I didn't add much detail to the rear. It will not be visible once the diorama is installed on the layout.

Thanks for following along and all the positive feedback along the way. Workbench is cleaned and ready for the next project.

Steve Custer

Raymo