The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Several days ago I started work on the bridge crossing the Big Tahope River.

Here is what I did to make sure the road across the river came together as planned.

I used a small square to draw a vertical line from the outside edge of the roadway. I drew the line down to the river bed.

I did the same for the other end.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then used a metal ruler and marked a straight line from one side to the other. Two lines, one for each side of the road.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then cut a piece of cardboard the width of the road and laid it in place. NOTE: This is only a template for the road. The road will be made from styrene as shown later in the thread.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then centered the bridge on the template for a test fit. This bridge is an old Kibri railway bridge, one I got off Ebay some 25 years ago for $5.00 + shipping. I don't think it is still made.

I marked the ends of the bridge and cut the right section of the cardboard and used this as the template to cut the Styrene for the road. I used .40" thick Polystyrene.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I scribed the centerline and expansion joints every scale 12 feet.

Continued, getting a small Diet Pepsi.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm using Rix Products early highway overpass kit for the roadway.

The next photo only shows the pillars in place, which aren't glued at this point.

After placing the pillars in place, I realized this narrows the road by 9 scale inches on each side. Meaning the concrete roadway won't match the paved portion of the road. DOH!

Luckily I caught the mistake prior to cutting any other roadway sections.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

A new roadway section was cut to the new and correct width.

With this new section in place, it was time to consider how I wanted the bridge to look. At first and for the past several months I was going to post signs that read - "Road narrows at bridge".

Later Monday night, I had an Epithany. I'll just widen the bridge. Only one problem, the bridge is plastic and glued together.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

No problem, I'll just deconstruct the bridge. Right?

I started by cutting and removing the top braces.

And then the bottom "X" braces.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then cut away the bottom horizontal braces.

Parts and pieces and pieces and parts.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

You can see how the bridge bottom looks with the tabs removed. The top is finished and the bottom has the tabs still attached.

Two hours later and the second side is finished. The tabs were filed smooth to the bridge sides.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The two sides are now ready to be kit bashed into a roadway bridge.

Tomorrow I'll show how I did the first section of the road and the start of the bridge kit bash.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

In my best Arte Johnson voice. "veddy interestink und clever too".
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision