Hydrocal: Acquiring, casting, painting, staining, curing

Started by ranny9, January 18, 2015, 08:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ranny9

Here's another of my offerings for a "sticky thread". I have mentioned elsewhere, of my experiments as to whether to use Plaster of Paris, or Hydrocal (Ultra 30) for my rock castings. Plaster of Paris is cheap and can be gotten locally from hardware stores such as Lowe's, but I need to mail order the Hydrocal, my last batch being from Scenic Express. I like the look of Hydrocal when it takes washes of paint and ultimately A&I. On the other hand, Plaster of Paris seems to look "muddy" after washes of paint and drying. If Hydrocal can be gotten in larger batches other than the 6 pounder from Scenic Express, where do you guys and gals get it and what does it cost?

S&S RR

Quote from: Randee on January 18, 2015, 08:40:31 PM
Here's another of my offerings for a "sticky thread". I have mentioned elsewhere, of my experiments as to whether to use Plaster of Paris, or Hydrocal (Ultra 30) for my rock castings. Plaster of Paris is cheap and can be gotten locally from hardware stores such as Lowe's, but I need to mail order the Hydrocal, my last batch being from Scenic Express. I like the look of Hydrocal when it takes washes of paint and ultimately A&I. On the other hand, Plaster of Paris seems to look "muddy". If Hydrocal can be gotten in larger batches other than the 6 pounder from Scenic Express, where do you guys and gals get it and what does it cost?

Randy

I purchased my plaster at a local wholesaler that supplied the molding industry here in the Detroit area.  I bought mine in 100 lb. bags.  - the material I used was called Number 1 Molding plaster.  It dries to a hardness very similar to the Hydrocal (Ultra 30) you are using now.  The place I bought it from had a $100 min. order and each 100 pound bag cost $35 dollars.  I found them by doing a internet search for Number 1 molding plaster.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

bparrish

Randy. 

To keep common plaster paris from going muddy find a rattle can of the cheapest clear flat lacquer and blast away.   This seals the porosity that is endemic in soft plasters.  After that you can float any color washes you want.  My favorite gig is to go to a paint store with about eight baby food jars and ask for a half ounce of all of the earth tones.  From green, yellow and on to burnt sienna and raw umber. 

No one has ever asked for such a thing that they usually kick me out and don't charge me anything.

Then mix the various colors in water with a little alcohol. Or.  All alcohol.  Or. Lacquer thinner.  Play with it and find what works for you. 

Between each layer blast with more clear lacquer.   At the last float an A&I wash and you're done.  It's really fast and super easy.

See ya
Bob

Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Mike Engler

Quote from: S&S RR on January 18, 2015, 09:34:09 PM
I bought mine in 100 lb. bags. 

I had to laugh when I saw this. When I first started in this hobby a hundred years ago Hydrocal only came in 100 pound bags. I've hated the stuff ever since I had to carry a bag up three flights of stairs to our club layout.
THE Runner- Mike Engler in Lakeville, MN
mike.engler59@gmail.com

ranny9

Quote from: bparrish on January 18, 2015, 10:09:54 PM
Randy. 

To keep common plaster paris from going muddy find a rattle can of the cheapest clear flat lacquer and blast away.   This seals the porosity that is endemic in soft plasters.  After that you can float any color washes you want.  My favorite gig is to go to a paint store with about eight baby food jars and ask for a half ounce of all of the earth tones.  From green, yellow and on to burnt sienna and raw umber. 

No one has ever asked for such a thing that they usually kick me out and don't charge me anything.

Then mix the various colors in water with a little alcohol. Or.  All alcohol.  Or. Lacquer thinner.  Play with it and find what works for you. 

Between each layer blast with more clear lacquer.   At the last float an A&I wash and you're done.  It's really fast and super easy.

See ya
Bob

Bob, your posts are ALWAYS helpful. Thanks!

ranny9

Quote from: Randee on January 18, 2015, 08:40:31 PM
Here's another of my offerings for a "sticky thread". I have mentioned elsewhere, of my experiments as to whether to use Plaster of Paris, or Hydrocal (Ultra 30) for my rock castings. Plaster of Paris is cheap and can be gotten locally from hardware stores such as Lowe's, but I need to mail order the Hydrocal, my last batch being from Scenic Express. I like the look of Hydrocal when it takes washes of paint and ultimately A&I. On the other hand, Plaster of Paris seems to look "muddy". If Hydrocal can be gotten in larger batches other than the 6 pounder from Scenic Express, where do you guys and gals get it and what does it cost?

Randy

I purchased my plaster at a local wholesaler that supplied the molding industry here in the Detroit area.  I bought mine in 100 lb. bags.  - the material I used was called Number 1 Molding plaster.  It dries to a hardness very similar to the Hydrocal (Ultra 30) you are using now.  The place I bought it from had a $100 min. order and each 100 pound bag cost $35 dollars.  I found them by doing a internet search for Number 1 molding plaster.

Thanks, John

Mike Engler

Sorry Randee, from now on I will only post "helpful" posts on your threads.   ;D ;D ;D
THE Runner- Mike Engler in Lakeville, MN
mike.engler59@gmail.com

ranny9

Quote from: Mike Engler on January 19, 2015, 11:00:29 AM
Sorry Randee, from now on I will only post "helpful" posts on your threads.   ;D ;D ;D

Everyone's posts are helpful....MIKE :-*

S&S RR

Quote from: Randee on January 19, 2015, 12:31:21 PM
Quote from: Mike Engler on January 19, 2015, 11:00:29 AM

Everyone's posts are helpful.... :-*

Especially Mike's! ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Mike Engler on January 19, 2015, 12:18:23 AM
I bought mine in 100 lb. bags. 

I had to laugh when I saw this. When I first started in this hobby a hundred years ago Hydrocal only came in 100 pound bags. I've hated the stuff ever since I had to carry a bag up three flights of stairs to our club layout.

I used a two wheel cart and a younger back to move my 100 lb. bags of plaster. A walkout basement was a plus. I buy the hydrocal I'm using now (for structures and small changes) in the 6 lb. containers.  Our rail gang did buy a few 100 lb. bags a few years back and split it up into more back friendly size containers.
John Siekirk

Janbouli

25 Kilo is the max weight sacks can have now here in Europe, I remember as a kid working in the weekend with my dad , him building brick garages and walls , and I'd be mixing mortar  , hauling 50 Kilo sacks of cement and wheelbarrows of bricks.  Back then I weighed 80 kilos and hauled 50 kilo sacks , now I weigh 120 kilo and with a lot of effort can lift a 25 kilo sack  ;D
I love photo's, don't we all.

NEMMRRC

Last time I saw hydrocal in bulk it was in a 50 lb bucket. It was bought direct from US Gypsum by some some guy at the local On30 club here in town.

Jaime