PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The crew at the Superior & Seattle Railroad would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

I will be getting the camera out for my annual - what's new pictures - in late January, after the main line changes that I'm making.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I got back to the layout for a little while this afternoon. I'm developing a way to add the tortoise machines from the top of the layout benchwork rather than from the bottom like most traditional installations. I took some pictures this evening of the process that I'm using and will try to get them posted, tomorrow. It's good to be back working on the railroad.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Like I said I really love what you are doing with your RR. Looks just beautiful.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 31, 2019, 07:52:25 AM
Hey John:

Like I said I really love what you are doing with your RR. Looks just beautiful.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the kind words and for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Happy New Year! I started to post a few pictures of the new track work that is going in the town of Sellios before my holiday/take care of mom break.  I'm basically raising the mainline 3/4 of a inch to give me more options with elevation changes in this area.  To make tortoise switch machines easier to install I'm cutting a hole through all the layers of benchwork in this area and attaching the tortoise machine to the top 3/4 inch thick board.  The sections are put in with screws so I could remove the section and replace the switch machine if needed, later on. Here are a few pictures that show what I'm doing.

First the turnout location is established and a section of the benchwork is cut out.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I cut a clearance hole underneath the 3/4 inch mainline benchwork.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm cutting through a lot of layers of history. The benchwork from my first layout extends through this area.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The tortoise machine is then attached. Wires added. and then screwed in place.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

A cut is made through the cork roadbed at the joint line.  Once everything is in place I make sure everything is smooth using the belt grinder.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a few overview progress photographs of the area I'm changing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

There is going to be a river flowing through this area and I pulled out the information from Brett on his new kit to make sure I had enough room if I decided to plant it here.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk