First Craftsman Kit Build - J. Keen Supplies

Started by WigWag Workshop, May 31, 2020, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks!

I added the 2 foundations, and "mocked-up" the loading dock. There were a few blunders, but a great learning experience. I did notice I am missing the side vent castings, I emailed Jimmy, and he said he will be sending them out.  Next up, add the dock doors, add the overhang, and tidy-up some of the weathering and details like permanently attaching the loading dock, and side building. Only negative so far is, the kit instructions (both sets) on the website are incomplete, but luckily I have the DVD.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

vinceg

Nice job, Steven. Especially good job on the "painted on" side on the side of the building.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

postalkarl

Hey Steven:

Looks great so far. As you continue to build you techniques will get better as time goes by. A they say practice make perfect.

Karl

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks!

I added the dock doors, added the roof to the side structure, and trimmed the main roof overhang. I felt there was too much and it didn't look right to me.  Next up, add the dock overhang, attach the side structure, tidy up the weathering some more, and start work on the casting I do have.  I am still waiting (I understand Jimmy is super busy, and I am ok with that) for the missing castings.

-Steven

A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

Steven,

I'm glad you cut the roofing back shorter, looks much better now. 

I'd suggest you add a piece of trim, maybe a 4x4, where the addition meets the main building.  This is something overlooked by many kit manufacturers and when added really helps the overall look of the structure.
Jerry

GPdemayo

Good call with the roofing Steven.....  8)

I know some kit manufacturers call for the roll roofing to be done that way and I've even seen a photo of it done in the real world that someone posted on the this forum not too long ago, so it obviously has been done.

My only concern is that when doing a roof with the felt hanging over the edge is that in the real world, a strong wind could get under the felt and peel it right off the wood sheathing.

The link is to a youtube video of a guy installing a 30# felt underlayment on plywood sheathing on a very shaky roof mock-up. It isn't correct in some aspects of laps and nailing patterns, but it will give you an idea of how it is really done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VJlgFT_Z_E

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

WigWag Workshop

Thank you for the feedback on the roof Jerry and Gregory, much appreciated.  I was thinking of adding trim to the addition, but I need to order some 4x4 and other assorted scale lumber, as well as some clapboard siding so I can try some scratch building/kit bashing.

-Steven

WigWag Workshop

I added the overhang, and support wires (not really happy with how that turned out) but I am hoping I will be able to "clean" it up when I do the final weathering.  I also permanently attached the porch and side building.  Next up, I am going to do some MAJOR "tiding up" of the entire model with some touch-up paint, and weathering chalks.  Then add the roof castings, and weather the roof.

-Steven

Jim Donovan

I'd say you did fantastic for first out of the box. Great Job.

Jim D.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

jerryrbeach

Steven,

I struggled with support wires until I tried drilling holes in both the wall and the roof.  Then I bend the angle on one end and insert the wire into the wall.  That gives me a fairly good idea where to make the angled bend where the wire goes through the roof.  After that, it is trial and error.  If your holes are placed accurately, once you get one wire to fit, the remaining supports are easy.  Also, I cut the ends of the wires to about 1/16" long from the angle bend, about the thickness of the wall, and slightly longer than the thickness of the roof card.  HTH,
Jerry

ReadingBob

Those wire roof supports are probably one of my least favorite features to add to a build.  Like Jerry I drill a hole in the wall.  Sometimes I drill one in the roof too.  It's hard to get just a little 'pitch' round where the wire goes into the wall.  For pitch I use a mixture of Elmer's White Glue and Polly Scale Grimy Black.  If I get too much on I scrape some of it off with the tip of an X-Acto knife.

A little reminiscing - early FSM kits recommended a mix of two part 5-minutes epoxy and a drop of Floquil Grimy Black for pitch.  After it dried paint it with Floquil Flat Finish.  White Glue and Polly Scale Grimy Black are a whole lot easier to work with.  I keep a small bottle with a needle tip dispenser on my workbench for when I need it.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

WigWag Workshop

Thank You Jerry and Bob for the advise on the wires, I have added this knowledge to my notes for the next build I need to use them.  I was thinking of using support timber, instead of wires, so maybe that is something I can try on a future build.

-Steven

WigWag Workshop

I did some minor changes, like painting the roof (I didn't like the whitish color).  Also did a few touch-ups, still have a lot more I want to do, to bring this build to completion. I will be doing a small diorama after I get the kit completed.

-Steven

postalkarl

Steven:

Looks good. Any idea on what is next?

Karl