Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 2) Started 2/25/17

Started by S&S RR, February 25, 2017, 10:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I made some progress on the sanding and detailing of the Stone Roundhouse area. Here is an update photograph.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The little round spots you see are glue clogging up some sink holes that developed.  Holes in the benchwork that didn't get filled with tape. Next round of detailing will cover up the glue. I'm using chalk to detail the track - It's wet in this picture but I can already tell you that I will not be painting track in the new section of the layout and the track will be detailed with chalk in all of the visible areas of the current layout. I'm using the same process that I use for metal roofing. The matt medium that I use for the ballast sets the chalk in place. I just started playing and love the way it turned out on my test section.
John Siekirk

NKP768

The track looks good John - could you give some details on using the chalk. I am also trying to avoid the mess of painting track.

Doug

S&S RR

Quote from: NKP768 on March 12, 2019, 10:10:48 AM
The track looks good John - could you give some details on using the chalk. I am also trying to avoid the mess of painting track.

Doug

Doug

I sure will, as soon as I perfect how I'm going to do it.   ;)  I did a couple test sections and love the results - over the next few weeks I will be completing the area around the Stone Roundhouse and plan on using the technique for the rest of the layout. I will add some better pictures, soon.
John Siekirk

NKP768

Thanks - I don't know which is worse - the smell from airbrushing the track or the fact that I'm down to my last two bottles of Rail Brown.

S&S RR

Quote from: NKP768 on March 12, 2019, 11:31:09 AM
Thanks - I don't know which is worse - the smell from airbrushing the track or the fact that I'm down to my last two bottles of Rail Brown.

I have 4 bottles of rail brown and none of them look like they are the same color. I will be follow-up in a few weeks with what I come up with.  Like I said - I already like the look much better than the painted track and rail ties.
John Siekirk

Blazeman

[/quote]

I sure will, as soon as I perfect how I'm going to do it.   ;)  I did a couple test sections and love the results - over the next few weeks I will be completing the area around the Stone Roundhouse and plan on using the technique for the rest of the layout. I will add some better pictures, soon.
[/quote]

Looking forward to you sharing your experience with this. 

S&S RR

Update: I switched gears this week and decided to get ready for the layout expansion that I plan to start in April. I plan on adding cabinets under the layout in the new section that will provide storage for the CFO of the railroad. I estimated the cost for materials and the time it was going to take to build the cabinets, this week. This shocked me - if you haven't priced wood lately - it has gone way up. So I decided to go to Menards and have a train buddy, that works there, do a pricing study with nice quality kitchen cabinets. I ordered the cabinets, today.  I wouldn't save any money building them myself and it gets me building the layout a lot sooner. ;) ;D ;D  Win Win.  The cabinets will arrive in 4 weeks so we have a date to start the expansion. I'm basically starting with base kitchen cabinets under the layout.  Then there will be a 11.5 inch facia (for all the controls etc.) and then the table top. This section of the layout is going to be a large yard. It will be designed so a second layer of layout can be added, at a future date. I will post the updated track plan when I have completed the finishing touches.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Great choice on getting the cabinets. Anything saving layout build time is the way to go.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 14, 2019, 06:45:43 PM
John,

Great choice on getting the cabinets. Anything saving layout build time is the way to go.

Tom ;D

Tom

I would have put a lot of hours into cutting and staining wood in 1:1 scale that I would much rather use to build the layout.  The cabinets keep the CFO happy, too.  Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  Getting ready to add the detail castings to the Schwarz's Foundry.

John Siekirk

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on March 17, 2019, 11:37:49 PM
Looking great John!

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along, and the kind words.  I will be getting back to it in a few days.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, I Cant speak for anybody else but your layout is amazing. I'm about 50% through reading your posts on this Great layout.  I'm very impressed  what you got done in the years you worked on it, And you take the time to answer questions even from a newbie here as myself.... I appreciate everything you done for me. My level of skills will never compare to you and others here but I came to the right forum to learn. I been following people like Karl O and postalkarl. such great guys all around. Please keep posting that Beautiful layout  and giving those tutorials. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on March 19, 2019, 03:15:28 PM
John, I Cant speak for anybody else but your layout is amazing. I'm about 50% through reading your posts on this Great layout.  I'm very impressed  what you got done in the years you worked on it, And you take the time to answer questions even from a newbie here as myself.... I appreciate everything you done for me. My level of skills will never compare to you and others here but I came to the right forum to learn. I been following people like Karl O and postalkarl. such great guys all around. Please keep posting that Beautiful layout  and giving those tutorials. Dennis

Dennis

Thank you for the kind words and for following this thread. There are a number of great modelers and layouts that post on this forum and I learn from them every day. The nice thing about this hobby is you never stop learning. Keep asking questions, every one of the modelers on this forum learned how to do what you see by asking questions. The two Karl's you mentioned above are two of the best to learn from.
John Siekirk