Bar Mills Bud Smiley's Gas Stop.

Started by Oldguy, May 18, 2020, 11:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

As I had mentioned before, the rolled roofing is very interesting, with nail holes along the lower edge.  The first row of material is wider than the rest and the one below it is thinner than the others.  I cut out a note card and used it to mark across the roof 2' lines for the roofing.  It all went fairly fast.  I wasn't worried about each row being a bit short as there will be some "tar" along the edges anyway.

The came the last overlay.  I used some blocks to get a flush fit on one end and then guiding it along its length.  I must admit, it does give the roof edges a lot of character.

Then came adding acetate for the windows.  For all the double hung windows I do measure and cut a length of acetate and then further cut it down so each has it's own "window".  The drafting dividers are invaluable for this.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

New knee is starting to work bette, so I am able to get the the train cave next door.

So were was I?  I got the roof done before surgery, along with the billboard.  I haven't yet set the roof sign.

I do like gluing down the cast parts for painting on pop sickle sticks.  I got the Shell pump painted the typical red and yellow with white for the globes.  They include some stuff for the pump registers, but nothing for the globes.  Fair enough since it could be built for other brands.  So it was off the the inter webs to find a Shell globe.  Once found, I put it in Word and use the remove background function and sized to fit.  I did scan in and resized the provided signs for the pump as well.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I needed to add a "foundation" from 0.060" plastic strip, which then necessitated a step in front of each door.  I also made a concrete gas area and sidewalk to the sides.  Right now the building and pump island are just sitting on the concrete pad to ensure I have made it to the right size.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Here's A photo of my scratch build on the F&SM. Hope you don't mind Bob D. And the kit is looking just awesome.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on July 18, 2020, 04:04:36 PM
Hey Bob:

Here's A photo of my scratch build on the F&SM. Hope you don't mind Bob D. And the kit is looking just awesome.

Karl
Not at all.  Looking at yours reaffirms my thought that the metal smoke jack needs wire bracing to look right.  I wanted to do an A&R gas station, but alas, they never made it to the Midwest.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

The gas pumps got finished using the provided solder for the hose. 

I spent most of my time in getting the base secured, fence installed, along with a bunch of details glued down.  I did make a change to the support posts location that made more sense to me.

Although not shown, I did add a bit of brass rod to the smoke jack give more glue surface for mounting.

Now it on to adding some scenery.  Not my favorite thing anymore.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

WigWag Workshop

Looks amazing, I really like the signs, and color choice. Appreciate you sharing.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ACL1504

Bob,

Well done on this one. Looks very nice. Love the sign also.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on July 20, 2020, 07:40:42 AM
Looks amazing, I really like the signs, and color choice. Appreciate you sharing.

-Steven

I agree with everything Steven said!  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Opa George:

The Shady Grove gas station is not A cut down copy of this kit. Each kit have A photo of the proto type on page 2. They are 2 separate gas stations.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Bob.

I especially like the polished concrete look you have achieved where all the vehicles have been driving.

Cheers, mark.

postalkarl

Oldguy

Thanks for a all the compliments.
I managed to add some "base" scenery, reserving some areas until I can et this planted on the layout.  I do need to improve my gravel roads.   I mean, I am surrounded by the things but just can't find that "look".
On to the next build!  I have a railroad to populate.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL