2020 Build Challenge: FSM The Rock Bunker

Started by rpdylan, January 01, 2020, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpdylan

Karl's build thread of this kit is on the Railroad line forum, a most excellent build thread!
    Once again there is a lot packed into these yellow boxes.... I remember when I did my first FSM kit and was a bit overwhelmed by all the contents and instructions, but I just went one step at time!
    So I just put everything else aside except for what sub-structure I'm working on, and the first thing in this kit is the "concrete" base.  There is a note from George saying that there was a problem in making the castings for the base- so he changed it to have the pieces cut from a piece of wood.... not too hard using my miter box. All is glued together and some plastic wood is used to fill the seams.  I plan on using Liquitex stucco for the concrete,...
Bob C.

rpdylan

looks like the build challenge got off to a great start! lots of action going on!
    If anyone has followed my previous builds you probably know that I love using Liquitex Stucco for concrete , stucco (duh), ,,,, the stuff is easy to apply, dries fast, easily sandable,,, I put the stuff on with a brush, my finger--- you can't mess it up because you can always put more on in spots after. When it is sanded it makes this really nice surface that, to me, looks closer in scale. 
    From Karl O. I borrowed his technique of making stain:  I mixed some carbon black ink with a few drops of the brown to make a custom stain,,,, its a bit different in look than my Hunterline Black,, you can see a hint of brown in it when looked at closely. 
Bob C.

rpdylan

not much to post,,,, work, skiing, and house projects are interfering with bench-time!  I started putting the walls of the bunker together. Anyone who has built an FSM kit will be familiar with this type of construction.  I tape wax paper over the templates and then start the framing over this.....
Bob C.

Opa George

Nice looking wall taking shape there, Bob. 
--Opa George

rpdylan

Thanks George! I never get tired of seeing how a bag of sticks can transform into a cool model!
Bob C.

ReadingBob

This brings back some great memories of my first FSM build.  Thanks for sharing Bob!  :)

Note to self - Pick up some of that Liquitex Carbon Black and Transparent Burnt Umber to mix up some of that custom stain.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Bob

It's coming along nicely, Karl has some great techniques - I used his stain formula for a trestle I built a few years back.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

rpdylan

thanks guys!
   looking back i realized that I didn't really explain the home made stain solution... Michaels had these little glass bottles that I got when I bought the Liquitex ink. I put some 91% Isopropyl alcohol in the bottle and added some brown ink,, then a drop at a time of the black, testing on some strip wood to see how I liked the color.  I also picked up some gray stain and mixed that along with some of the black to make a dark gray mixture. (I just needed to add some variety to kit builds because I found myself using the same stain for everything I did).
Bob C.

rpdylan

bench time has been difficult this month- I keep getting pulled away for a variety of reasons,,, I have been nibbling away at the walls...
Bob C.

Opa George

I like those walls, Bob. The homemade stain does a nice job.
--Opa George

rpdylan

thanks George!  Its so funny how the light source will change the color... in the layout room, the lights are "Daylight" florescent, and the stain has a more gray look.... the last photos I took in my kitchen with regular ceiling flood lights above the counter and the stain looks more brown
Bob C.

rpdylan

For the concrete color I used this chalk paint from Michael's. To my eyes, its pretty dead-on to the old Polly-Scale aged concrete. The dry transfers that came with the kit seemed a bit dried out and super fragile, some of the letters just flaked off (I think they are about 40 years old?)... I hit them with Dull Coat after I applied them, then I used some weathering powders on the walls.

Bob C.

Opa George

Bob, the dry transfers look pretty good for their age.  Fortunately as graffiti and an old company logo, the flaking adds character.
--Opa George

rpdylan

I messed up and put the Rock sign too low! Oh well,,,,,,,
Bob C.

ReadingBob

I really like that concrete color. 

Man, I forget that this one came with dry transfers.  It's been a long time since I built it.  The dry transfers came out just fine.  Like Opa George noted, the flaking adds character.   ;)

Looking very good!  Thanks for sharing!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.