The view from my window - the F&SM from the cab of a Steam Locomotive

Started by FandSM Engineer, October 02, 2019, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

This thread is an amazing resource for inspiration and for learning.  I feel like an art student tiptoeing around Van Gogh's studio, in awe,  but at the same time soaking up as many tips as I can pack into my brain.

John mentioned how the importance of detailing the rear and unseen side of structures is clearly on display. But I also feel inspired by the discipline George exercised in making sure every inch of track is treated as a model in itself.  The ties cut unevenly, weathered and painted, the ballast/dirt/weeds, perfect. 

Another observation: the level of trackside trash, again, even in the unseen areas, is so well done.  Not just a few broken boards or oil drums on their sides here and there, but everywhere, windblown newspapers in profusion. Highly detailed castings representing junked boilers or motors half-hidden in bushes, just waiting to be spotted. 

Wonderful.
--Opa George

postalkarl

Dave K.

Love that shot of Stromboli, soon to be replaced. Thanks, John!

FandSM Engineer

Thank you for all the wonderful comments. More to come. Because of the way the videos were shot we are repeating some of the areas on the layout but I can't help myself - and just add a few more pictures of some great scenes. We shot 10 video clips in all with different train configurations and track routes. I have about four more videos to go - but as I said they may be of some of the same areas of the layout.

hairball

STROMBOLI'S soon to be replaced.   The name is familiar but I am unsure which structure it is and where it is/was on layout.

mike lynch.......HAIRBALL

S&S RR

Quote from: hairball on February 17, 2020, 01:10:21 PM
STROMBOLI'S soon to be replaced.   The name is familiar but I am unsure which structure it is and where it is/was on layout.

mike lynch.......HAIRBALL

Mike

Stromboli's is the grey concrete building in the middle of the picture above.  If you go up a few picture on the page in the thread you will see parts of the  name on the side of the building. It's behind Johnny's.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

hairball

thanks john, hope you come back to this area to show us the new replacement building.

mike lynch............HAIRBALL

tct855

John,
        I don't get to visit this site as much as I'd like with my new job, but when I do it's really refreshing to see what all has been posted.  It's nice to see all the wonderful pictures you've enhanced with the track level videos from Franks camera.  I'd enjoyed running the trains for everyone those days when George allowed intimate photography of his wonderful layout.

You've done an excellent job with making these video frames a sight to remember.  George is an awesome example of what one can do with a little talent and imagination.  You, yourself are a talented modeler and have imagination with posting these incredible pictures of perhaps the most talented modeler since John Allen.

I just love and can't believe the detail George has mastered in every scene.  He is truly an artist's artist.  Look forward to each next pic you develope.  Thank you Frank for allowing me to develop the original footage for this pictorial. 
                                                        Thanx Thom....

S&S RR

Quote from: hairball on February 17, 2020, 05:37:14 PM
thanks john, hope you come back to this area to show us the new replacement building.

mike lynch............HAIRBALL

I'm sure George will come up with something that we will all enjoy. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: tct855 on February 17, 2020, 07:22:43 PM
John,
        I don't get to visit this site as much as I'd like with my new job, but when I do it's really refreshing to see what all has been posted.  It's nice to see all the wonderful pictures you've enhanced with the track level videos from Franks camera.  I'd enjoyed running the trains for everyone those days when George allowed intimate photography of his wonderful layout.

You've done an excellent job with making these video frames a sight to remember.  George is an awesome example of what one can do with a little talent and imagination.  You, yourself are a talented modeler and have imagination with posting these incredible pictures of perhaps the most talented modeler since John Allen.

I just love and can't believe the detail George has mastered in every scene.  He is truly an artist's artist.  Look forward to each next pic you develope.  Thank you Frank for allowing me to develop the original footage for this pictorial. 
                                                        Thanx Thom....

Thom

Great to hear from you.  George's talent is a great inspiration to all of us.  We all had a great time taking these pictures and it is my pleasure to post them.  Thank you for all of your help. At some point I will post some of the pictures of your smiling face along with the rest of the gang that was there helping. Take care my friend.
John Siekirk