FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Thanks, John and Vince. Both details were super easy to make.

For tarps, I used a tissue (basic "Kleenex" style facial tissue, not tissue wrapping paper).  Separate into the two layers and paint a single layer with acrylic paint.  I mixed some green with white to get a pale, sun-faded green.  Use a brush and of course apply paint liberally but carefully, to avoid tearing it. Let dry then do the other side.  Let dry thoroughly.  Once dry, it makes excellent tarp material because it dries slightly wrinkled and is strong enough to cut, shape, roll, etc.

Kudos to Todd Wiley of HO Scale Customs for the painted tissue trick. The resulting material also makes great curtains for windows. It can be modeled to look as if it is hanging or  blowing out of the window.

The rope is gold colored cotton thread.  I got a cache from my wife of old cotton thread--don't use modern polyester thread.  I made it slightly wet for better shape control, then put a glob of white glue on my thumb and index finger and ran the length of thread between, impregnating it with just a bit of glue.  Cleaned my hands and quickly shaped it.

--Opa George

postalkarl

hey George:

WOW really looking cool. Love the drop cloths on the roof.

Karl

Jerry

George great detailing on the roof.  Very realistic looking.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

GPdemayo

Outstanding details George..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Opa George

Thanks for the comments, Karl, Jerry and Greg. Certainly appreciated.

Today I added the supporting framework and timbers that hold up the second and third floors of this structure. A die-cut template was included, but I found it awkward to use, so instead cut the pieces to length using the full size plan in the instructions. It worked just as well for me. While sub-assemblies dried, I also assembled the wooden conveyer that connects this structure to the main enamel works building. It is shown in front of the annex--just a small, long box structure, but a nice detail.

The brown tarpaper roof on the conveyer is not yet trimmed or weathered.

In making the timber supports for the annex, I discovered from the instructions that I was supposed to inset the first floor to allow for a full side length support.  My picture of the other side was a little blurry, but you'll see later that I chose to only put partial timber supports on either side of the first floor. I think it looks ok and logical.  This structure is supposed to represent something built in stages as needed, so I think that choice won't be inconsistent.

--Opa George

Janbouli

Great modeling and I love the mustard color .
I love photo's, don't we all.

Opa George

I'm finally around to staging the structures on my layout.  Below is the enamel works sitting at height in relation to the mill buildings. The mill buildings are fixed in place, but the enamel works is just sitting on a partial foundation.

Below gives a better idea of the "foundation" under the enamel works.  It is a high angled stone arch and the works, glued to the front, has its rear hanging in mid-air for the moment.  There will, of course, be walls under that part.

Below, a shot from the front. This is about eye level to the viewer.

Opa George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Looking spectacular, George!

I assume you have noticed that the two dormers need attention?  It looks like have changed the slope on the roofs on the bottom two steps of the apartments.  I'd comment about that chimney that is a few degrees off vertical - but I have seen plenty in the prototype that look like that!  After our 2011 earthquake half the chimneys in Christchurch looked like that!  Either that or a pile of bricks on the ground (or the bonnet of your flash car if you were really unlucky!)

I still haven't quite worked out exactly what you have planned - but its certainly very interesting!

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 11, 2020, 08:07:31 PM
Looking spectacular, George!

I assume you have noticed that the two dormers need attention?  It looks like have changed the slope on the roofs on the bottom two steps of the apartments.  I'd comment about that chimney that is a few degrees off vertical - but I have seen plenty in the prototype that look like that!  After our 2011 earthquake half the chimneys in Christchurch looked like that!  Either that or a pile of bricks on the ground (or the bonnet of your flash car if you were really unlucky!)

I still haven't quite worked out exactly what you have planned - but its certainly very interesting!

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks, Mark. Yes, that one dormer in particular is a problem, although in person it is less noticeable--the angle of the second two units being so different.  I also notice the underside of the cardboard roofs is still uncolored. I must have neglected that step.  The camera reveals all!  The entire module is not yet secured to the layout so that I can work on it at the bench.  So much to do!

This project is turning into a very wild ride, and certainly in a good fun way.  Most of my layout has a distinct fantasy flavor.  I originally thought this would be more mundane industrial section to fill in the bluff over the inlet, but my sense of Gothic creepiness is taking over and it is starting to get a bit odd like the rest.

--Opa George

ACL1504

George,

Well done on this huge build. Looking forward to where you plant this one.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Thank you, Tom.

Here are two more pictures of the module at my workbench.  I have the siting worked out and am now starting to build the scenery up to meet the structures.  That may be somewhat backwards, but it is mostly how I have always done it.

Here is an angle showing it from the front side. I also took a shot from the canal side, but it was too blurry to use. I'll get more shots to post shortly.

Next up will be a lot of foundational scenery work.
--Opa George

JimF

WOW!

Just catching up with all the builds.

George, you are amazing. You are on of those people blessed with a artist's sense, to go with your building skills.

Love this build.

Jim

Opa George

Thank you very much, Jim!
--Opa George

Opa George

I've been slowly getting some terra firma under the Bandit's Roost buildings. This area is Ragged Edge, and it built on top of where the old sewers empty into the industrial canal.  It's a little difficult to get a good sense of the overall scene, with the module still sitting on my workbench.

Lots of work to do in getting the various walls "knit" together. But it is coming together.

--Opa George