Two cities layout.

Started by Random, April 08, 2018, 12:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random

I find that I can carve the Durham's effectively with a worn x-acto blade or steel scribing tool but it is more difficult than plaster.  The real issue I'm having is with how it takes paint.  If I can't figure that out I won't be using it again.  I'm a bit stuck with these roads as pulling out the Durham's would destroy the wooden bases for the sidewalks and bridge supports.  I did a small test with some Polly Scale earth and the paint went on much nicer, so the issue may just be the craft paint.  I'm considering ordering some Scalecoat concrete and aged concrete and giving that a go.  Thoughts on the paint?

Cheers

Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Oldguy

Try coating a small section with Glidden Gripper.  It's a primer that I use to "glue" foam together, plus as a paint primer.  I haven't found anything that it would adhere to, but I haven't tried it over water putty.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Dave K.

Quote from: Oldguy on May 08, 2018, 12:45:11 PM
Try coating a small section with Glidden Gripper.  It's a primer that I use to "glue" foam together, plus as a paint primer.  I haven't found anything that it would adhere to, but I haven't tried it over water putty.

I wonder if Kilz would prime it sufficiently?

ReadingBob

Quote from: Dave K. on May 07, 2018, 08:38:24 PM
I once tried using Durham's for roads but found it way too hard to work/sand once dry. Thoughts?

Ditto.  I can't recall if I ever got around to painting it when I was finished.  If I did it I most likely used Floquil and that probably worked okay.

I've used this Concrete Paving material to make roads with some success.  It takes a little practice to find a consistency you like to work with and some patience to get it spread just right but it can make for some really nice looking streets.

Unlike Durham's it can be softened up by misting some water (or rubbing alcohol) on it.  It can be carved when dry.  It takes powder/chalk very well. 

They also have a couple of Asphalt mixes I bought but haven't tried yet.  A little seems to go a long way. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

vinceg

Bob,

Beautiful build of Fox Run Milling!

Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Random

That road does look nice.

With the goal of saving the roads I've already poured I decided to try a different approach with what I have on hand.  Because of the influence of Troels Kirk my paint cache includes a set of artist acrylics.  Using Payne's Grey, Titanium White, and Naples Yellow Deep I mixed up a color that matched fairly closely a paint chip for Scalecoat aged concrete.  I used a half inch flat brush and developed a technique to remove the brush marks.  I applied the paint in one direction and then lightly feathered it in a perpendicular direction.  This was a little finicky and two coats were required to get good coverage but this looks much better than the craft paint and seems to be much better adhered.

I allowed it to dry for several hours and then went back with my scriber and reasserted the expansion joints and added cracks.

I think this will work out once I hit it with the weathering but in future I may go back to plaster roads.  We'll see.

Cheers.

Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

Random

I felt that the streets were too gray and too uniform so I went back and worked in more Naples Yellow Deep with previous gray and then applied that over the gray with a round artist brush using long strokes.  This introduced more warmth and a faded and uneven look to the roads. 

The next step will be to highlight the cracks and expansion joints and start on the sidewalks.  I intend to make them from basswood but I am toying with some ideas including cutting the wood into "tiles" to allow me to work in some unevenness. 

Cheers.

Roger Hines

Random

I did a bit more work on the roads this evening.  I used a mix of dark brown, light brown, light gray and dark gray artist's soft pastels to give the roads a general weathering and highlight the cracks.  I then went back with some ochre to soften the colors and add warmth.  Next I took the dark gray and worked in an impression of the car lanes.  I again used the ochre to soften and pull back any areas that didn't work for me.  I then blended the whole surface with a soft brush.

The holes will receive manhole cover castings.

And here is a quick shot with the station placed temporarily.

Cheers.

Roger Hines

Random

I have more details over in the Stone Buildings thread but I started painting the platforms and bridge members for the station.

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Random

Foam risers and the retaining wall have been glued in place to the right of the station.  I've done some test fitting of the bridges.  I need to add the bottom plates and cut the girders to support them. 

I'm not sure how it will work out but I decided to cut individual sections to build the sidewalks.  A washer broke on the chopper while cutting them. Fortunately I was able to find one that fit in my scrap box.  I used sanding sticks to knock down the corners and edges.

I also cut curb stones from strip wood.  My hope is that this will allow me to work in some irregularity into the sidewalks. 

Time for some sleep.

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Janbouli

Amazing , I am very interested in how this works out.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Random

Over the weekend I set out to install the sidewalks.  First I took all of the sidewalk stones and curb stones and attached them to card with tape so that I could paint them.  The paint color is intentionally varied using artists acrylics on a palette.  By varying the amount of Naples Yellow, I could lighten or darken the color.

Once dry I pulled the stones from the card and gave them a good mixing.

I protected the station with cling film and using a straight edge glued down the individual sidewalk stones.  I tried to avoid any obvious patterning of lighter and darker stones.  Also, some of the stones had been "buttered" with Durham's and have a slightly different texture.  I pulled the more interesting of those into prominent locations.

Next I installed curb stones.  These are meant to portray natural stone curbing in an older section of town so the corners are not rounded.  They are however worn back a bit on the outer corners.

Lastly, I went back over the sidewalks with artist pastel chalks and a soft brush to blend the colors and give some weathering. 

The bigger gaps will eventually sprout grass and weeds and I may add some cracking to some stones.  For now I think its coming along well.

Cheers.
Roger Hines

Janbouli

Sidewalks look great Roger
I love photo's, don't we all.

Random

The approach bridges for the station are coming together (details in the stone buildings build).

And while everything was drying on the bridges I assembled the express building for the raised platform. 

Cheers.
Roger Hines

S&S RR

Roger

All I can say is this is some great modeling. I'm really enjoying your thread.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad