FOS Gardiner Tack, Field & Farrier for the Tom Schwarz Build Challenge

Started by PRR Modeler, January 02, 2019, 03:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

I received the FOS Gardiner kit for Christmas, finished the freebee kit and am now getting ready to start on the main kit. I plan on several modifications. The lean-to on the front right side will be moved to the back and I plan on extending the platform the entire length of the front and possibly add a extra door or two. 

I have decided on Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red as the trim and can't decide on either the Tamiya Flat White XF-2 or the Tamiya Buff XF-57 for the main wall color. Any suggestions?
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

madharry

I would go with the buff. But it is your choice, just a lot of builds seem to be a combination of another colour with white.........Just my shilling's worth.
Mike :)

Mark Dalrymple

Nice choice, Kurt. 

I don't remember seeing a build of this kit.  I, too, would go with the buff.

Cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Curt,

Great choice for the challenge. I've threatened to buy this one several times but as yet, no.

Looking forward to the build.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Thank you Mike, Mark, Greg, Tom, and Dave K. I decided to go with the Buff wall color. The deciding vote was my wife. ::)

Spent a couple of hours today cutting out parts, sanding and trimming. I also figured out how to modify the large door in the front that starts on ground level since I am going to run the platform across the entire front. Sorry no pictures.
Curt Webb

jimmillho

I do not know wat happened to my Post, but Great job so far and I will be following you on tis build.

Nim

PRR Modeler

Jim thank you for following.

Today I spent a couple of hours gluing together windows, priming them, priming the detail parts, and putting the wood strips in a A&I bath. The bathtub ??? in the photo cost me $1.49 at Walmart and is cut down using a jig saw.

The grey rattle can paint is darker than I thought it was when I bought it today. Tomorrow I should get the wall bracing complete and paint the interior black.

Curt Webb

MAP

Mark

ReadingBob

I'm following along as well.  I agree with others that that the Hull Red and Tan look like a nice combo.  To me the Flat White and Hull Red contrast a little too much due to the darkness of the Hull Red.  That's just me though.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

Mark and Bob thank you for your comments and following.

Today I spent about 3 hours on the build. I braced the wooden parts, painted the interior flat black and after that dried I put a coat of A&I on the outside. Three hours is about the max that I can stay focused working on kits. There are a bunch of fiberboard walls that the directions say don't need braced (I believe I glue the exterior of them with individual 2x10's that will be orientated vertically). Tomorrow I hope to start on the exterior painting along with the wall trim.

Curt Webb

Opa George

Curt, nice start on this fascinating kit. I have looked at it many times on the FOS site and am fascinated by the rambling-shambling nature of it. Needless to say I'm following with great interest.
--George

PRR Modeler

George thanks for following.

Today I spent a couple of hours working on the kit. First I painted the exterior walls buff (A&I applied yesterday), painted the Tichy windows and door the trim color. After that I painted the wood trim. I realized after I had finished, the trim color was extremely dark although it was thinned by windshield wiper fluid. I thought about it for a bit and then dabbed or rubbed Buff color on them making them more acceptable to my eye. After the walls dried I applied 2 coats of very thin trim color to the bottom 1/2 inch of the exterior walls.

You probably notice on one of the large walls that the doorway has a smooth piece of wood on the bottom part. Unfortunately I did not have the proper board to match the rest of the wall. It will be covered by the extended platform that will be in front of it and normal viewing will be to look down so I figure it will not be seen.

Tomorrow I plan on painting on the laser cut doors, windows, and stairs.
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

Great job, the colors do compliment each other. Looking very good.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com