Static grass applicator question

Started by Oldguy, August 06, 2020, 11:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

As most already know, my first try at static grass application was a disaster.  I had a old railroad buddy came down to my area and stopped by for a visit.  He does a lot of scenery work on various layouts in KC, and thought perhaps it was the use of Woodland Scenic's material. 

Then I got looking at my WWS applicator and noticed there is no wire to the screen as I have seen on some others.

So now for my question, for those who have successfully applied static grass, what unit do you use and does it have a wire to the metal screen?
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

vinceg

I have the WWS applicator and, coincidentally, used it for the first time this week. Works fine. Although there is no wire attached to the screen the little stud at the bottom of the canister (or top -- depends how you're holding it) does just fine in charging the fibers. I actually like this approach as I worry how you avoid shocking yourself with a unit that has a screen charged to 15KV.....especially with a ground stud not too far away.

Just a few days ago I added some static grass to my Queen City Coal diorama. First time ever for me. It seems to work great. I expect I'll be posting some pictures sometime this weekend.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Zephyrus52246

My Heki flockstar does have a wire on the screen.  The Noch Grass master does not.  The Heki works a lot better.  I think it has more power as well.  I've used Heki and Noch static grass.  I think they both work the same. 

Jeff

Oldguy

Vince and Jeff, thanks for the replies.
It may just be that the WS static grass, could be the issue.  I did get some other static grasses and will give them a shot in a week or so.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond